Monday, March 9, 2009

Would you buy this?



So, they now have orange juice concentrate at the supermarket, but unfortunately it is sucky.

9 comments:

Sara said...

LOL! Well, I probably wouldn't because I would imagine it taste quite "sucky". That's sort of like the soda, oh, I forget the name something-mist. In German, mist means manure, so imagine our German exchange student's surprise to find a can of soda with manure on the label.

Rogério Penna said...

gotta love engrish haha

Woodward Chile said...

Ha ha ha! Great name. I probably would buy it to keep the can.
Imagine going to a bar..
Can I have a sucky please?

But seriously I really wonder who came up with the idea.

In Chile a couple of years ago there was a 'fuente de soda' (a place for a quick bite to eat here) downtown with western/cowboy decoration a big sign out the front that said Fart West. How did that extra T get in there? Some disgruntled underpaid translator or someone with a grudge?
If you are going to invest in a business or something and give it a name that's in a language that's not your own, you'd think they'd at least check it out.
By the way they eventually took the T off the sign though you could still see a non-sunburnt image of it there.
Saludos.

Emily said...

And that's precisely why I giggle when I see tattoos of Chinese symbols and generally avoid buying clothing with foreign language that I can't read. Sure, the guy at the shop said it means "happiness", but what if it actually means "fat cow" or something??? I'm just sayin' . . . ;)

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Sara - Ha, ha! It is so funny how languages cross paths.

Woodward - Ha, ha! Oh wow, that cracks me up. I'd never be able to look at it without cracking up. My husband kept saying that someone, somewhere had to know how that would translate. I mean when it is the name of the food okay, but a brand name?

Emily - Ha, ha! I feel the same way. You can never be too careful. An educated second opinion is very important in these matters.

Leigh said...

Haha! I would buy it just for the can.

It reminds me of Bimbo bread, Snob jelly (Ecuador), and Bawls energy drink (U.S.).

cathy said...

That is GREAT! You should submit it to Fail blog!

lovelydharma said...

Yep, that's right up there with the blowtex condoms....

Although I think I see where they were coming from - because in Portuguese the way to eat oranges is "chupa." They took the translation too literally.

But truth be told - all bottled/canned/boxed juices in Brazil ARE sucky!!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

cathy - I hadn't heard of that. I'll look it up.

lovelydharma - I'm not a fan of the boxed stuff just b/c of the sugar. Fresh is definitely the way to go and I'm so glad we can get it so easily.