Monday, March 16, 2009

Display Awards

If there were awards for supermarket displays I have no doubt that Maringa would win. Who knows, maybe there are such awards and I’m just not aware of them.

I’ve never seen so much effort put forth to display such common items. For example, brooms.


Most often I am amazed that someone has taken the time to do all this work and I’m even more amazed when I got back two days later and the display is gone. The supermarkets here are an environment that is always changing.

I will say I get a bit nervous when I see a display such as this made of wine glasses. Especially as three unsupervised children run by. A bit of an accident waiting to happen and I’m secretly hoping I’m never the one to cause it.

Speaking of displays the eggs are up! Remember these? All those chocolate filled Easter eggs on display high above your head at the stores.

I had the opportunity to watch a guy putting them up the other day and let’s just say my senses will be a bit heightened from now on as I walk under them to get to the cheese. Something about a single wire and heavy metal bar that makes me a bit anxious, but the eggs are light so that is a good thing.

There is a reason the eggs are light and this is because there is barely anything in them. Last year I posted about how excited I was to try them only to be disappointed with my 6 chocolates. What was so funny was that my friend here told me she was going to warn me about it how disappointing the eggs were, but then decided I should learn for myself.

Oh, I learned. This year we will be saving money and just buying a box of the regular chocolates and pretending they are wrapped for Easter. However, my disappoint and future chocolate shopping plans make the egg displays no less impressive. Always something entertaining around here.

9 comments:

2012 Events said...

I am glad I found your blog and I am reading about the Easter displays in the stores.. We have seen these wonderful displays too and my kids are determined for me to buy them one; however, for a few chocolates I can probably get creative and save 40 reais.. = )

Mamacita Chilena said...

Wow, that truly is a stunning broom display. I'm impressed. Chileans certainly don't put that much effort into their grocery stores!

Stephanie said...

Too funny! Sidnei got my little sister an Easter Egg from the Brazilian store! She was SO excited, and then so crestfallen...hahahah

Vivi DiLopes Adams said...

Ovo de pascoa! Yummy... :)

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

You should definitely try to get a Kopenhagen Brand Easter Egg!
They usually have their own stores or you can find them in some nice stores.
Ask around, someone must know.
They are absolutely awesome!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Living in Brazil - Thanks for stopping by. Maybe it would be worth it for the experience. The chocolate on the outside can be good if you have something to dip it in....like peanut butter. Just warn them not to get their hopes up. :(

Kyle - Only in Brazil, my friend. ;)

Stephanie - It is quite a disappointing experience. Ha,ha!

Vivi - Yep, signs of pascoa are showing up everywhere. :)

Ray - I'll keep my eye out. We are headed south in April where most of the good chocolate is made (according to my research) - Nugali, etc. It will be after Easter, but maybe we find some clearance stuff. :)

lovelydharma said...

Hilarious! I've never seen a more artistic display than those brooms. Someone's really taking pride in their work!
I have never bought one of the eggs - actually I had a time warp freak out the other day. I saw them in the store and the thought that crossed my mind was, "wow, they're still trying to sell those eggs, Easter was months ago..." And then it occurred to me - another year has flown by!
Tell us what chocolate you end up treating yourselves to! I'm always disappointed by the chocolate here...
-Robyn

Jennifer said...

All of those suspended eggs are impressive. So many of them!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

lovelydharma - I know what you mean. Time seems to be going crazy fast. I can't believe it is our second Easter here.

Loulou - The patience and time it had to take seems unreal. They are all over the store it seems.