I hope it is a beautiful day in your part of the world. It isn’t quite what I’m used to here in Brazil, but I will say I didn’t have to worry that it would be too cool to wear my sandals this morning.
I can remember far too many Easters as a kid where I had my Sunday dress picked out with matching spring sandals. I would undoubtedly wake up to unpredictable Indiana weather and have to put on a sweater and pants to keep from freezing to death. Not so here. I glistened in Easter mass, my clothes stuck to me in the humid cathedral.
It was finally time to open the chocolate eggs that have had my attention since we bought them last week. Unfortunately, while festive and fun, we were taken aback by what a rip off these traditional Easter treats were.
We opened our eggs to find about 6 individually wrapped chocolates inside. 6!! We paid about US$15 for these things. This isn’t high end, quality chocolate mind you. It is about the level of a regular Hershey bar at home. A smaller egg only held 3 chocolates inside.
Although disappointing, the whole outside of the egg is made of chocolate and since I did give chocolate up for lent I am enjoying the indulgence. I’ll get over the lack of bargain. It was nice to have something Easter – y for the holiday.
Colored eggs, plastic eggs and any other Easter candy beside chocolate is not part of the tradition here. There are no Peeps or different types of jelly beans around. No egg dying kits.
I guess I shouldn’t complain since chocolate has always been my favorite thing in my Easter basket anyway. The chocolate that formed the actual egg on the outside is the perfect kind to dunk in creamy peanut butter.
Quality chocolate is best eaten alone, but some call for its favorite flavor partner. Luckily someone we know just came in from the states and replenished our supply of peanut butter so we are all set.
I will write more about the other celebrations of Easter here later. I do warn that I was let down. Big surprise, I’m sure. Until then I will make the best of my expensive, but delicious chocolate.
I can remember far too many Easters as a kid where I had my Sunday dress picked out with matching spring sandals. I would undoubtedly wake up to unpredictable Indiana weather and have to put on a sweater and pants to keep from freezing to death. Not so here. I glistened in Easter mass, my clothes stuck to me in the humid cathedral.
It was finally time to open the chocolate eggs that have had my attention since we bought them last week. Unfortunately, while festive and fun, we were taken aback by what a rip off these traditional Easter treats were.
We opened our eggs to find about 6 individually wrapped chocolates inside. 6!! We paid about US$15 for these things. This isn’t high end, quality chocolate mind you. It is about the level of a regular Hershey bar at home. A smaller egg only held 3 chocolates inside.
Although disappointing, the whole outside of the egg is made of chocolate and since I did give chocolate up for lent I am enjoying the indulgence. I’ll get over the lack of bargain. It was nice to have something Easter – y for the holiday.
Colored eggs, plastic eggs and any other Easter candy beside chocolate is not part of the tradition here. There are no Peeps or different types of jelly beans around. No egg dying kits.
I guess I shouldn’t complain since chocolate has always been my favorite thing in my Easter basket anyway. The chocolate that formed the actual egg on the outside is the perfect kind to dunk in creamy peanut butter.
Quality chocolate is best eaten alone, but some call for its favorite flavor partner. Luckily someone we know just came in from the states and replenished our supply of peanut butter so we are all set.
I will write more about the other celebrations of Easter here later. I do warn that I was let down. Big surprise, I’m sure. Until then I will make the best of my expensive, but delicious chocolate.


2 comments:
hey! time to catch up on my reading!
u see, this yr the eggs were very expensive, here at my house we didnt even buy any! we instead got chocolate boxes and the 500g bars ;-)
i kinda wanted to tell you about what was on the inside when i read the other post,but i didnt...i needed to let you find out by yourself... nothing big huh? =P
hope to see you soon
PS: you know, this whole peanut butter thing is very american =]
dont remember if i asked you if you like peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch! do you?
We noticed a lot of people buying the regular chocolate boxes. I guess that is why.
Almost every kid in the US loves peanut butter and jelly. I on the other hand was always different. Ha, ha! I just like plain peanut butter sandwiches. Grilled pb sandwiches are awesome too. As I've gotten older I still don't like jelly on them, but I do like peanut butter sandwiches with fresh strawberries or banana slices.
You can even get them out at restaurants back home. There is a sandwich place called PotBelly in the larger cities that will make a PB & J on a baguette and grill it. My husband loves them. I think he had 2 or 3 of them when we were in DC last October.
Post a Comment