Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Nike-Shocked

About a year ago, before I made my first visit to Maringá, several of my husband’s Brazilian coworkers were in the states for a meeting. One evening we took them to the mall for some shopping, the number one item on the list – Nike Shox.

Brazilians are crazy for these shoes. They bought a pair for themselves, their children, their aunts and uncles, you name it. You also see them on people everywhere in the city, even a city as small as Maringá.

My first reaction to this was one of pure shock and disbelief. I find Shox to be relatively expensive in the states. This is coming from a bargain girl who prides herself on finding $80 tennis shoes on sale for $30 - $50. I’m not sure I’ve ever purchased anything full price.

Well, if these shoes can be considered somewhat pricey in the US, they are definitely considered expensive here. The mall has displays of Nike Shox advertising prices tags of about R$500. With the exchange rate now that is well over US$250 a pair. What a complete and total rip-off! Oh, what my bargain shopping could buy for $250!

After joining the gym, we realized just how many people wear these shoes. Apparently you are only cool if you wear Nike Shox. Lucky for me, I don’t care about being cool and you would never catch me in a pair anyway. I am a New Balance and Adidas girl.

We were a bit concerned that they might even kick us out of the gym for not having a pair. This didn’t happen, of course, but I’m sure plenty of fellow gym goers have taken a look at my NB’s and wondered why in the world the Americana doesn’t have Nikes.

This whole Nike fan club going down here leads me to believe one of two things. These people themselves, or their families, travel to the US a lot, or they buy them for R$500 a pair at the mall. Both of these options leave me with one conclusion – the people here have a lot more money that what we as Americans are made to believe.

I’m not saying there isn’t a huge divide in the poor and the wealthy. Poverty exists around every corner and in most cases is more extreme than many areas of the US. What surprises me, though, is the amount of wealth that exists in a small town like Maringá with this extreme poverty.

In addition, to small things like Nike Shox we see Audis, BMWs and Range Rovers on a daily basis. If you think these cars are expensive in the US (I do), try tripling or quadrupling the price to get them down here. It really amazes me.

So while I struggle to figure out how people can afford what I would consider major luxuries, people think I am loaded because I’m an (North) American. For them American = money and for an outsider Brazilian = poverty. Both perceptions couldn’t be more incorrect.

7 comments:

Julia Gonçalves said...

Hey!
Well... this that you said here...its a looong discussion!
Can you belive that the same ppl that wear those tennis and drive those cars, are the same that do a looot of ilegal things? like with taxes and such, most of them didnt purchase the car themselves.... its crazy. Will talk to you about it when we are having brigadeiros! haha
but hey, trust me, the bad thing about Brazil is how some people have a LOT and some don't have anything.... this is why life is tough for most ppl here... its a difficult topic, but we'll cover it when we see each other! =]
Julia

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Thanks Julia. I'm interested to learn more about the situation. Looking forward to talking!
Lori

Nanda said...

HI,
I'm Fernanda, from Maringá too. And one thing i hate in our city is this maniacs for shox and popularity...
I think that i don't write so well, but i hope you understand! I understanD 80% about you write! hahaha

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Hi. Thanks for your comment. You write very well. The same thing happens in the US. People get really crazy over name brand stuff. I guess there are just more brands to choose from so it isn't always Nikes.

Elaine Bittencourt said...

Hey! =)It's been a while, I am so sorry for not visiting more often! I love reading your blog, and even though I don't always comment, I read it. I hadn't read this post before though, although I did read several from before I "met" you.
Anyway... your perception about shoes couldn't be more exact. It's been always like that. I remember when I was a young girl, teenager, and running shoes were the rage! Oh, I'd dream of having those "imported" shoes that all my friends where wearing! I had 2 pairs of Redley shoes, oh, they were cool! =)
People pay for them in monthly installments (crediario).
I was talking to my husband and his brother the other day about how people are so driven by "what's cool", and I made the comment that I think Brazilian people are too much about "aparencias", and brother-in-law says to me: "maybe in the South, not where I come from". LOL I had to laugh! LOL

Elaine Bittencourt said...

oh, I forgot to tell you this! In 2003 the oldest daughter of one of my cousins came for a visit. She stayed for 4 months. Guess what she just HAD to buy as soon as she got here? heheheh A Nike Shox! LOL

Rogério Penna said...

if you stop to consider that every damn thing custs like 2-3 times the price it custs in US (including cars), you beging to realize many brazilians have a lot of money.

another VERY COMMON thing to upper middle class brazilians is to have houses/apartments on some beach city (at least in Rio Grande do Sul thats EXtrEMELY COMMON).

That is... people dont go to a hotel in the summer... they own condos or houses on beach cities...

You can clearly notice the trend when you realize most american beach resort cities have skylines mostly composed of hotels. Now, when you look at the skyline of Balneário Camboriu for example, its just hundreds of condo highrises!