Thursday, March 13, 2008

Road Races - 5Ks, 10Ks and even 150Ks


The past two weekends there have been road races around the Park do Inga. I think one was for Rotary and the other was for International Woman’s Day. Now that we've joined the gym we are a little more in-the-know about these community events because we see the flyers.

We saw our first road race here last year when we were still living at the hotel. I have to admit I was completely surprised. I guess I just wasn’t expecting them to have events like this in Brazil, especially a small town. I was glad to see them.

I’ve always loved road races. There is something about the feel of the event that is uplifting to me. Everyone gathered has an interest in fitness and enjoys healthy competition.

On the other hand, I am not a fan of running. I have hated it pretty much my whole life. This goes back to the days when I pulled up the tail end during our two-a-day soccer practices in high school.

It is one of those activities I have never been successful at and it is difficult to like things you can’t succeed in. I know good runners work their buns off to train, but the ability to be a great runner is something you are born with.

I was definitely NOT born with it. Now, elliptical skill - that is another story. I could probably win competitions in that if they existed. (That was a joke.) Those were the best creations ever!

I’ve coordinated road races, run some 5Ks and even participated in a 10K a couple years ago. (Notice the use of 'participated' in the last part of that sentence. That is me slyly admitting that I didn’t run the whole thing.) I’ll probably do more in the future because my love of the event overcomes my dislike of running.

So far the races we have seen here have been small. I haven’t seen any chips or even any race numbers, but that would probably be the case for a small run at home too. There is a longer one coming up in April, a 10K, so it will be interesting to see how that one pans out in comparison.

Who knows, maybe I’ll get my butt in gear and train a bit for it to become a participant and not just a lurker. It would be nice to say that I’ve run road races in Brazil.

My husband is training for the Volta á Ilha in Floripa which will take place in April. (I think it translates to Lap on the Island. I’m never sure about the articles in Portuguese). It is a race around the entire island of Florianopolis. It totals about 150 kilometers and teams of 8 or so run legs of 6 – 11 kilometers each throughout the day.

Wow, I know! It will be a huge event. I’m glad he’s able to participate and that I’ll be able to witness it. It will be quite an accomplishment on his part. There will definitely be more to come on that in a few weeks.

No comments: