Over the past few years I have gotten to the point where I have no desire to see a movie in the theater. Being cramped in a room among people with no manners has worn on my nerves to the point that I have given up on seeing any new releases. I have no desire to sit around people who can’t use their quiet voice and who treat the movies like they are sitting in their own living room.
This is my typical theater experience –
Loud discussions and comments at every scene, a young child behind me kicking my seat and his parents completely ignoring his actions, cell phones ringing (and people actually answering them in the theater) and being hit with flying popcorn from the teenagers in the back.
It’s just not my idea of a good time. I really have no desire to spend $9 on something I don’t enjoy. I’d rather wait a few weeks and curl up on my own couch when the DVD is released.
Despite my negative experiences in the US, we have gone to the movies a few times in Brazil. I was expecting a similar experience, but I got a definite surprise.
I love going to the movies here!
We went this past weekend and had another pleasant experience. The best part about it is that it is QUIET. I think this has to do with the fact that the films are in English with Portuguese subtitles so most in the theater are trying to concentrate on reading and watching at the same time. The sound can be a little muffled at times due to their sound systems, but everyone is so quiet that we can usually hear just fine.
The theater itself is laid out much better than theaters at home. There is so much space between the rows that you don’t even have to get up or shift in your seat to let someone by. The seats are large and comfy too.
The movies from the states arrive here about 3-4 months after they hit the theaters there. If you go on a Friday or Saturday night you’ll be paying the same amount that you do for a new release showing at home, but the matinee deals and daily specials are great. You can see a matinee for about US$4 and on Wednesday all movies are about US$2 all day.
Several of the movies that were released this past winter (in the US) have arrived so we have a whole list we want to see. It is so great to enjoy going to the cinema again.
Movie goers in the US could definitely learn some lessons from those in Brazil. It is often unbelievable to me that people have lost the ability to practice good manners when watching a movie with a group of strangers. Please respect other people. Sit still, be quiet and set your cell phone to vibrate!!!!
Monday, March 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment