Well I’ve been sick this past week…again. I don’t know what it is with me and my compromised immune system lately. I was pretty well over the last cold/flu, whatever it was, and then got hit with this one. It kicked my butt too. I’ve been writing from bed all week in between naps.
I thought I would be able to kick this one without medication, but I had to break down and get an antibiotic for fear I was going to end up in the hospital with pneumonia or something.
So, surprising thing about antibiotics, you don’t need a prescription here to get them. They sell them to you right over-the-counter. That brought on the question, is their an antibiotic problem here in Brazil like there is in the US?
In the States antibiotic use has gotten out of control. Doctors prescribe them for just about anything. Patients come to the doctor with everything from the sniffles to bronchitis and aren’t happy leaving without medication. Therefore, many antibiotics were being prescribed for things that didn’t need antibiotics at all.
Antibiotics are only going to help a bacterial infection, not a virus or the flu. So then there are all these people taking unnecessary antibiotics and their bodies begin to build resistance. Not a good situation, health-wise. This is personally why an antibiotic is a last resort for me.
I honestly couldn’t imagine it if you could get antibiotics over-the-counter in the US. I have a feeling it would be absolutely out of control. People would probably be taking them for everything. At least now many doctors agree that this whole over prescribing is a problem and now only prescribe antibiotics when absolutely necessary.
Anyway, it was just another one of those surprising things I’ve encountered. I’ve had this kind of infection before so I knew I had to have one to get over it. I will admit that I was very glad I didn’t have to go to the doctor to get it too.
An added bonus is that they deliver it to you. My husband’s coworker called from work and ordered it for me and about a ½ hour later our door bell buzzed. I do have to say I felt a bit like I was doing some kind of illegal drug deal with the kid on the bike downstairs, not having a prescription and all, but I am starting to feel better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
hey there, im sorry to hear ur sick again... oh man, thats not fun, its probably bc this weather has been crazy here in Maringá!
I just read the response about the differences between the US and here, a big one I remember was about the size of glasses, and the refils...and also the fact that dinner is the main meal of the day, in highschool the kids move from class to class while here we remain in class and the teachers are the ones walking around, and also there its possible to pick the classes ur taking, while here everyone gets the same...the flavor of pizza and the great amount of tomatoe sause on them was just amazing in the US =]
Those are the ones I can think of now, will check the journal and then talk to you!
Julia
(PS: I will need to sign those comments, cuz each time it shows a different name on them!)
Technically it is not allowed. But this is BRAZIL, where many things are illegal, but descaradamente happen.
Here in Brazil, the Doctors convince the mothers to do The secuction by any cost. They say its better for them and the babies... while in america the sesuction is only on emergency cases, and its almost a tragedy, they do everything to delivery on the natural way... Here they end up convincing us, they say that the normal way, is risky for us and the babies, so we end up afraid and do it their way...
It's a brazilian reality that i do not pride... Unfortunately...
Actually it is very much the same in the US. Due to patient's and doctor's schedules mothers are being convinced to have c-sections. It comes with the rising trend for people to plan their births.
I'm surprised to hear that it is the same in Brazil, though. Many of the dangers are beginning to come to light in the US though. I have a feeling the trend will shift soon to more natural methods if it hasn't already. Many people are in control of their health there and do their own research. We don't always listen to what doctors say as the final word.
This is a good thing I think, but can also cause problems in some situations.
About my DESCARADAMENTE:
I ask for help to google translate, and it does not translate that word... Sorry!
hahahahahahahahahaha
Descaradamente mean something like: happen everytime, without supervision.
Post a Comment