It started with my hair color. When we moved here people stared at me endlessly. When I say stare, I mean STARE. Some women would practically fall out of their chairs looking at me. My husband didn’t get it a first until I told him to start looking around and then he agreed.
It bothered me at first because in the States and many other places staring is incredibly rude. I’ve gotten to the point where I just stare back now with the same intensity and they usually look away.
It has died off a bit. Either that or I just notice it less now. However, I have noticed that I do a lot of things that get strange looks here. Maybe I’m just being paranoid but my days are filled with funny looks from strangers. Most of the time it is a source of laughter for my day so maybe that is a good thing.
I thought I’d compile a short list of some of the things I do on a daily basis that make people look at me a little funny. I would properly bullet the list, but blogger is taking issue with my writing and won't cooperate.
I only take 7 seven oranges for R$1 when it is 15 for R$2 at the feira. I guess bargaining is a big thing here, but honestly I’ve never liked doing that. Apparently I’m supposed to try for the better end of the deal and take 8 oranges. The truth is I only want 7 so every time I say, “Sete” and hand the guy R$1 he looks at me kind of funny.
I wait until all the traffic has stopped and the light has changed before crossing the street. I don’t trust drivers here at all, so you will often find me standing on the corner waiting for stopped traffic while others wisp by me. I’ve come close to being hit a couple times and I can’t believe how daring some of the pedestrians are here. I’d much rather wait an extra 30 seconds and cross the road safely.
We often grab our groceries and put them in the basket before they can be bagged. There is an excessive use of plastic bags here at Brazilian grocery stores. They are about the size of a sandwich bag so it takes about 30 of them sack up a moderate amount of groceries. We often say we don’t need a bag or we grab the milk and other similar items and just put them in the cart without a bag. The cashier literally looks at us like we are crazy.
I wear baggy workout clothes. I’ve never been one to enjoy skin tight leotards when I workout. Most recently we exercised at a campus recreation center since I worked for the university. The normal attire was comfortable t-shirts and shorts, not matching workout outfits. Here I’m finding the outfit is a big thing and women like to wear somewhat revealing clothes when they work out. So yet again, as if my hair wasn’t enough, you can definitely spot me at the gym because I’m the only girl with the baggy Kentucky t-shirt on.
I talk to dogs in English. Stray dogs, dogs in the window at the pet store, I talk to them all. I love dogs and I hate so much to see them living in such horrible conditions both in the streets and in the pet stores. I’ve been known to stop at the pet store and chat a few minutes and say a few words to the ones that pass me on the street. I know I can’t prove it, but they DO understand English.


11 comments:
Literally, every single one of those things could be in Chile! The insane amount of plastic bags, crossing the street, and woman and their ridiculous camel toes while working out.
Nuts!
Oh man, I laughed out loud when I read the camel toes comment. I have not heard that in forever. Thanks for ending my day with a laugh!! Ha, ha!
hey, u made me think about the amount of plastic bags and the clothes to work out... i only now realized the difference, and i think im gonna try and look on my journal about the differences i found when i was up in the US.
Crazy.
So, i did catch up on my reading, i really enjoy reading your blog, u think and notice sooo much stuff!!! its awesome
hope to see you soon
i told you about your hair colour... the women would die for that! =P
btw, i had my hair cut! its a lot shorter than usual...
hope 2 c u soon, brigadeiros are VERY needed those days!
c ya
I'd like to hear about some of the differences you noticed. The whole plastic bag thing was so surprising to us because in the US there is a huge push to ban plastic bags because they are bad for the environment. Some cities already have.
People either try to use as few bags as possible and recycle them or carry a reusable shopping bag. This is even catching on more in the smaller cities.
We leave in a small city... Is difficult find some americans here. When it happens, yeah... we look with a funny look!!! Inevitable! hahahaha
"Ohhh, american people in our city"... hehehehehehe
You are right for do not trust drives here...
are you sure people stared at you because of the hair color? From the small pic, it seems that you looks like Xuxa. Maybe thats why people look at you.
Well, I hear that depending on the area it is definitely the blond hair. I looked up Xuxa, I don't think I look much like her besides the hair.
My husband's coworkers did say that maybe people looked at me because they thought I was someone famous. So who knows. I hate to disappoint them, but I'm not. Ha, ha!
Aces is curious, and so am I about the whole hair color stuff. Aceshigh and I, as being "gaúchos", don't understand that whole "blond hair" thing in Brasil. I'm from A small town in Rio Grande do Sul state, and learned to speak Portuguese only when I went to school, around 6 yo. I speak German with my parents and when I'm in my hometown until today, and blondes are the norm around here, and I thought it would be the same in Paraná, than I found out that the area you are in had a different colonization. I guess Brasil is just too big for me to know it all...
Tchau
Hi Marcos - Thanks for your comments. On our first visit everyone told us that there were many more blondes in the south due to the people who settled there, just as you explained. We noticed this when traveling to Floripa as well. However, around here there are very, very few. Practically none in Maringa except a few who color it and it is very obvious.
I don't know much about the colonization. I just know when I go out my hair makes me different than everyone else. Our Brazilian friends here have commented on it as well, warning me before we moved that I would stand out.
Yes, you are right. The area you are in in Paraná is much more ethnically and culturally connected with São Paulo's countryside, the "pés vermelhos". Now imagine a blue eyed blond man in a city like Rio... I just can't complain about the attention, I'm just saying that the girls really like to show how much they like blond man...I just thought it would be the same in your region, but apparently is not.
One more thing: In the coastal area of SC state you won't find blond girls, at least not natives. They are all from others areas in the state, or from RS state.
Hope it helped clarifying some things.
Tchau!
Post a Comment