There is something that has bothered me quite a bit since our move here. From the moment we began meeting people they seemed to imply in different ways that because we are from the US, we have a lot of money.
This was incredibly frustrating to me. Let me be clear, I have everything I need and some things I want. I have a very thick line between need and want and feel that people confuse that often, but that is another topic all together. I would probably be considered by most people as tight, I prefer ‘selective’, regarding what I spend money on.
I introduced this a bit in my post about the tennis shoe craze. I realize that I have far more than many that live here same as in the US. However, for the people that live among us in downtown (centro) Maringá I would argue that this is not the case.
The clothes in the boutiques in centro are the same price, if not more expensive, than the small specialty shops in downtown Lexington. Yes, I figured in the exchange rate. We pay more for a gym membership in Maringá, than we would at home and we get less selection, quantity and quality of equipment.
I don’t know why I feel the need to set things straight, but I’ve been trying to figure out this Brazilian perception that all Americans are rich.
Actually, I think I have.
At a churrasco a few months ago, a friend told us that she learned most of her English from watching the show Friends. It was at that moment that I realized how these perceptions are formed. Popular television shows like Friends and Oprah run here in English with Portuguese subtitles.
For most, this is the only exposure they have to the American way of life. So what they are seeing are cities like Manhattan and women buying $500 designer bags and $800 stiletto heels. They watch Oprah give away $200 face cream and $75 t-shirts. This is the US to them.
I can’t blame them for this perception, as it is all they have to go by, all the exposure they have had to our society. However, it is certainly not true. I am from Indiana (originally) and Kentucky, not Manhattan.
On a similar note I’ve heard countless Brazilians say that everyone thinks that their country is only a jungle with monkeys running through the streets. Of course, one can tell from my blog alone that this is not true. There are areas of Brazil that are like this, just like there are very wealthy people in the US. You can’t make a generalization or stereotype in either situation.
So I’m willing to make a deal. Don’t believe I am rich because I am (North) American and I won’t believe that all Brazil has to offer are jungles and monkeys.
Wednesday, March 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
YES. It happens a lot. And the fact of the matter is that even when I studied here and used dollars, I wasn't "rich" (although comparatively I did have more money than a Chilean my age), but now I work here and have a Chilean salary, I am economically the same as anyone else! I also have found that, once you're living here, Chile is a more expensive country than the US in a lot of ways. Although housing prices are relatively lower, food, clothes, drinks, internet, gym, etc are often the same price as in the US, and people make much less money. Saving here is basically unknown, and most people buy everything on credit, which sort of makes you wonder about the stability of Latin America's best economy.
You're right though, that it goes both ways - my friends at home think Chilean food is the same as Mexican food and that I live in a tropical climate!
We have definitely encountered similar things. It is interesting to know that Chile is somewhat the same.
Produce and meat is so incredibly inexpensive here, a fraction of the price in the US. However, canned goods and packaged foods are the same or more expensive. Things like towels and similar items are outrageous, IMO, considering the quality.
I think I have plenty of people back home who think I'm laying on a beach with a drink in hand. I think the fact that I'm not employed here, but working on freelance from home adds to it. Everyone says what do you do all day? I actually say pretty busy!
Post a Comment