Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Back to School

The minute I was finished with graduate school, I was ecstatic that a lifetime of going to school was finally over. I always did well in school, but I can’t say that I really liked it. I like to learn, but I don’t like doing it on other people's terms. I like learning about what I want to know and to the extent to which I want to know it.

Well, I’ve found myself back in school, this time in Brazil. I began Portuguese classes a few weeks ago at the university here in Maringá. The classes are taught by students in the language program who plan to become English teachers. The classes are composed of mostly 17 year old Rotary exchange students from various countries. In addition, there are a few old folks like myself who are living here for a few years. The number of countries represented does make it an interesting environment. There are students from the U.S., U.K., Australia, Denmark, Holland, Russia, Mexico, Finland, Germany and Japan.
I want to comment on the university itself. The differences and similarities are each striking in their own way. Let’s start with the differences. The campus itself isn’t all that appealing. It is unique. There are some beautiful palm trees and green space, but other than that the buildings are run down and dated, especially for a place that is less than 50 years old. It does look like they are adding on to some buildings though. The classrooms themselves aren’t quite as bad as I thought they would be. They even have a couple rooms that are set up theater style with comfortable chairs. The similarities lie with the students themselves. Despite the look of the campus, it feels like I am back at UK or Purdue. The actions and characteristics of a ‘student’ seems to be the same across cultures. I realized this when leaving class at 3:30pm one Thursday afternoon. The local bars were buzzing with students starting the weekend because, as everyone knows, weekends start on Thursdays in college. College campuses seem to have the same feel no matter where you are.


So far I find Portuguese very difficult to learn. I attribute it to the fact that my brain is full. I hit this point in grad school where I felt as though I could fit no more new information in my head. It sounds ridiculous, but I always feel this way when I’m trying to learn new information. I’m hoping I can get rid of some unnecessary stored information (such as the words to that random song) to make way for learning a little Portuguese over the next 2 years.

4 comments:

Andye Iore said...

Hi!
I´m a journalist in Maringá and wrote a post about you in my blog. take a look:
www.toscorama.com.br

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Wow, thanks for letting me know. I will have to work on my Portuguese a little more to translate it correctly.

Valter T. Dubiela said...

Hi Blondie In Brazil.
Unfortunately I'm not In Maringá since I've moved to Canada, in 2002. It's funny to read how foreign people see my mothern country. Sometimes we catch some values we don't mind at all, like a palmtree isolated in the landscape. It's gentle to show us what you like, but is important to say what you dislike in Brazil, even if can cause some conflit.
If you have time, try to take a look at the Warren Dean's book, about the destruction of the forest on the south of Brazil. It reveals some aspects about us that we forgot or never saw as important. I thank him for that. Thank you too to start to do the same.
I have a blog in French where I started to compare Quebec and Parana ( www.ecologge.blogspot.com ). You are wellcome to take a look there, if you still have space in your brain to read in French.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Thanks for your comments. Funny you should mention for me to comment on some of the things I dislike. There are many and I'm trying to be fair and understanding of other cultures. However, my husband and I are currently in Washington DC working on getting our Visas finalized for out 2 year stay there. It has been an absolute nightmare. Comments on that and the Brazilian way of doing business is to come. I actually took french in high school. I remember little, but in learning Port, every once in a while a French word pops out! Take care.