It is time for a little venting. It is often surprising to find someone in the States that coughs and sneezes without covering their mouth in some way. Normally, when we do, we assume that person has no manners or no mother to teach them the appropriate way to act in public. I have no problem cringing or even verbally saying 'ugh' when someone commits this horrible germ-spreading crime in public.
When I visited here before our move, I noticed two things that I thought were a victory for public health. First, there are sinks everywhere for washing your hands. They are usually outside the bathrooms so you can easily wash your hands before eating. Score one for public health! Then, I noticed that they don't touch their food with their hands. They use napkins or eat everything with a fork and knife. I thought, okay, maybe this could be a new way to stop spreading germs. Score two for public heath!
Well, once I moved down I started to look around. Sorry, but germs have just won the game. The score for public health just plummeted into the negatives. Hardly anyone here covers their mouths when they cough or sneeze. Needless to say they aren't even close to approaching the further step of sneezing into the inside of their elbows which has become a new public health recommendation in the States. We are talking, hacking on everyone walking down the street, sneezing all over the table. To add to it, there are no sneeze guards on buffets here. Yep, you guessed it. I rarely touch a buffet here. I made that promise as I watched a lady cough all over the breakfast buffet at the hotel one morning.
Lord knows I'm trying hard to embrace this cultural experience. I'm also pretty proud of the fact that my germ phobia has come down a bit since moving here. I'm trying to get over my mild OCD regarding germs. But when it comes to coughing and sneezing all over me and my food, sorry but I can't handle that. Please cover your mouth!!!
Friday, September 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Very funny! That's true. We don't mind too much about coughing or sneezing on public places and I never saw advertisings about that in Brazil. People don't do it because they don't know it can cause sickness. It's rare Brazilian stay at home because of they are cold or have respiratory sickness.
Post a Comment