Towering high in the sky next to Maringá's most well known landmark, the Cathedral, you will find those familiar golden arches glowing like a beacon for the hungry. Now if you think McDonald's is busy, say at 5:00 on a week night, or lunchtime on Saturday, oh you haven't seen anything yet. My husband and I usually attend mass at either 6:00 or 7:30pm on Sunday evenings. When mass lets out everyone in the city goes to McDonald's (Mac-Donald's as they say here). It is busier than any place I have seen before. Cars aren’t just lined up at the drive thru. They have to form two lines and alternate entering because the drive thru line literally causes a traffic jam on one of the main roads through the city. Brazilians appear to love McDonald's. I dare say more than Americans, simply because there are only a few other choices for this kind of food.
I have to say that when it comes to fast food, McDonald's is my favorite. Despite this fact, I care very much about my health and I eat there an average of about two times per year. I've definitely broken my record here in Maringá. I have eaten there three times in the past month. With the transition and the move, it was just easier to go with the familiar. Brazilians claim it is much different from the McDonald's in the states. There are a few different options, but it tastes the same to me.
They do have some healthier options here, but they come at a high price. In fact, we’ve been told that McDonald's is really more for people with money here. That was surprising to hear, because with the value menu in the U.S., it appears that income level is not a factor in eating there. I would think that most would consider it fairly cheap food. At least in the health field that is one thing we are up against regarding decreasing the consumption of fast food. It is too cheap and convenient to grab an extra value meal vs. choosing a healthier option.
They do have some different desserts here, branching out from the traditional sundae, shake, cone and McFlurry. The best thing they have here is the Top Sundae. Surprisingly, it is much larger than those in the states (most things are smaller here). They load it up with toppings and then sprinkle it with farofa doce. It is a sweet, fine, cookie crumb type topping. It is so good. It is also a nice variation to have the option of a coconut milk shake.
Although, I plan to continue with only my semi-annual stops at McDonald's it is not so bad to have it to fall back on. The challenge is to find a time to go when it isn’t standing room only.


3 comments:
I hope you have see the movie Supersize me, as all Michel Moore movies, even he is a tipical American oversized.
I think go to this king of the junkie food it's like a mode in a provincian city as Maringa. This supersizing rest is the temple of middle class teenagers here. In fact, american colonisation is sicking the world with its trans fat tradition.
Even in China people want to try this shit food and Asian immigrants in Canada are becoming obese because the wave fast food is dumpping the healthy Asian way of eating.
Well, I never went to the MerDonald (as french people say here) in Maringá. I prefer all the Japanese, italian restaurants and all kind of salades. Next time, try to visit Cafe Cremoso. Maybe you'll feel at home there, but with another kind of options.
I have seen the movie Supersize Me. I am a nutritionist so I have a great interest in these topics. I don't feel that it is trans fat that is the culprit, that simplifies it way too much. There are many factors from portion sizes to preservatives. Have you read Fast Food Nation? It is actually quite interesting how McDonalds got it start. It reflects the American Dream that so many people refer to when speaking of the US. The problem is that it became a company only interested in making money and now practices unethical marketing in branding. As I said before though, compared to other fast food places McDonalds is doing better at offering healthy choices. I think this is because in some cases the American public is demanding it.
I will try to find Cafe Cremoso. It sounds good. Unfortunately I cannot give Maringa much credit for offering healthy options. I found it very difficult to eat healthfully when we were forced to out during our stay in the hotel for a month. It seems to be all red meat, cheese and french fries. The salads lacked the quality that I prefer. I found some healthy options at Marcos though which was nice. Now that I can cook in my own apartment though and shop at the feira, things are much better.
Post a Comment