Sunday, September 2, 2007

Spring Flowers In September

Here in Maringá we are headed out of winter and into the summer so this would be the beginning of spring right now. You wouldn't know it by the weather. It is already 85+ F on a regular basis. There are some other signs of spring, though. We spent some time this weekend visiting a garden event (Expo Verde e Flor) in the center of town (centro). It was pretty amazing. There were so many varieties of flowers and trees. There were beautiful orchids, mini-palm trees and flowering cacti. What was more amazing was the price. We went away with a apartment-full of plants and flowers for about US$20. I still can't get over how inexpensive some things are here. We are ready to go with some great color for the apartment. Now if we only had a couch.

There was one thing at the event that was much better than any flower, though. I went to pick out the best peace plant I could find while my husband waited with our overflowing cart. As I returned back to where he was, I saw him frantically waving for me to come over. When I reached him, he said, "Listen." Above the birds chirping and crowds talking, I heard some really heaving breathing. It was the heaving breathing, snorting type sound that could only belong to one creature on earth. Yep, you guessed it, it was a pug!!!!

I rounded the corner and followed the sound. My eyes were greeted with an overheated, slightly overweight, smashed-nosed dog with a curly tail who was graying around the face. She was precious! I only wish I spoke Portuguese better so I could have asked to pet her, but instead I just watched. I've only seen one other pug in the city. They are rare and you could tell by the way people were looking to see what was making that horrible noise. A little girl started to approach the pug, but when she breathed loudly at her, the girl jumped back. It was quite a sight. Finally, they took the pug out because it was just too hot under the tent and I would guess she might have been embarrassing them a bit. I was able to snap a picture while we were checking out. The highlight of my weekend!!!

No comments: