This got me thinking about the change in perspectives I have experienced personally regarding things I consume here in Brazil. More specifically, you guessed it, food.
What I thought of when pondering this subject were oranges. Yes, oranges. A little odd, I know.
Most consumers in the US, at least the ones standing beside me in the produce section at Kroger, are searching for the best looking product. When it comes to produce they want it shiny, absolutely no dark spots or blemishes on the outside. This is how we choose the best of what is being offered, most often by the look of it.
To my first shopping trip at the feira in Maringá I carried these past produce picking habits with me. The first thing that caught my attention was the oranges. They were small, partially green with blemishes all over the outer skin. These looked like oranges most people at home would toss in the trash, deeming them inedible. They certainly wouldn’t make the shelf at the local grocery store next to the brightly colored, untainted Florida oranges we get in Kentucky.
This is what they had to offer, however, so I picked through and found some that I could live with. I have to tell you that these oranges were absolutely the best I have ever had with perfect consistency and sweetness. The fruit here is just so much better than what we can get in the states. There really is no other way to explain it.
It does seem ridiculous that something as insignificant as an orange could have such a large affect on my perspective, but it has. It began with the simple things. It doesn’t bother me so much anymore when I find a little bug who has taken up residence on the lettuce (alface) I bring home from the feira. At home this would be a sign that it might not be a good product.
I seem to think of the oranges often and what I might have missed out on in the past because I didn’t like the look of something, or it wasn’t what would be considered the best product. A thought based on fruit can be applied to much more important things such people in my life and opportunities I've been granted.
I’m glad that this is something I’ll be able to take back with me when this experience is over. Hopefully in some way it will make me a less wasteful person and able to reconsider what might be the best option, not only at the supermarket, but in everyday life.


2 comments:
hey! thanks for helping me at the feira! hehe, I commented on your post about the tennis shoes...i got a Puma because i dont like the Shox! haha
We have a new topic to cover next time we see each other! I cant wait for the brigadeiros! I will stop by when I have MY car!!! yay! Im soooo excited!!! =]
have a great week!
julia
Thanks for your help. :) I like Pumas more too. Congrats on the new car!
Post a Comment