Thursday, March 20, 2008

Easter Egg Hunt

Last Saturday my husband and I went on an Easter Egg hunt, so to speak. I told you about (and showed you) those huge chocolate Easter Eggs that hang from the ceilings of every grocery store this time of year. Well it was finally my turn to get one.

We had originally thought we would surprise each other with a special egg, but then reality set in a bit. Considering that the apartment ranges from about 75 to 83 degrees F in the average week, there would be no place to store these ‘surprises’ except the fridge. So knowing this would eliminate the surprise completely, we just decided to shop for them together.

We were definitely not alone. It seemed to be everyone’s egg shopping day as we strolled through the store looking up at the all the eggs above our head. One can get a bit of a crick in the neck shopping for Easter Eggs here.

The best part of the shopping experience is the assistant that stands around and asks if you need help. Apparently many of the children’s eggs have little toys in them. These individuals have fanny packs on which hold the contents of the eggs so that parents can evaluate the best option.

Although, I’ve had my complaints about chocolate here I think I’ve decided my favorite brand is Garoto. You can find their standard yellow and red boxes of chocolate everywhere. They are especially plentiful at the Sao Paulo airport in the duty free shop.

The smart people who work at Garoto took the best varieties that exist in their multi-box and stuffed them into an egg. My husband got the Opereta, his favorite, which is white chocolate with a cashew nut filling. I got the Mundy which are little chocolate squares with a variety of fillings, including my favorite – hazelnut (avelã).

We started to unwrap one last night just so we could see what it looked like on the inside. The egg itself was, in fact, hollow chocolate. We stopped there not wanting to ruin the surprise so we are assuming all the other chocolates are inside. Considering my husband also got an egg from work, we have a lot of chocolate on our hands!

Knowing that I’m a sucker for a sale this probably won’t stop me from heading out Monday to see if they have any on clearance. Oh the struggles of being a bargain shopper and a health conscious consumer. Chocolate keeps a while, right?

Here is a picture of our excessively, cellophane wrapped chocolate eggs. Just like me, you’ll have to wait until Easter Sunday to see what is inside.


4 comments:

Emily said...

I think I'm going to buy eggs for my boyfriend and best friend tonight...they just look too fun and delicious to pass up! Enjoy yours!

Mamacita Chilena said...

Ummm, I think I need one of those huge eggs...they look awesome!!!

And how fun that you don't know what's in all of them :)

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I live with my wife here in Maringá too. We both lived here since we were children. I moved to Rio de Janeiro for about ten years, but then I return to marry her and build my life here.

I found your blog looking for "Maringá" in Google. It's great to read about your experience here.

My english is not that good, so I will stop here. I will show your blog for my wife too, she will love to read it.

It's a great oportunity to learn some english!!!

See ya!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

The eggs are definitely hard to pass up. :)

Hi rics - Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you like the blog. Your English is very good, by the way.