I have some great news! I found oatmeal (aveia) yesterday! And not the instant kind. The real thing.
Recently I mentioned that I was really missing my regular breakfast from back home. I have searched high and low for it and finally stumbled upon it in the health/diet food section at the supermarket among the protein bars and wheat germ. Who knew it was such a delicacy here.
Accidentally finding it yesterday brought to mind my complete confusion and frustration regarding grocery shopping in Brazil. I just can’t figure out how things work when it comes to stocking everyday items. Finding staple ingredients here is like one big scavenger hunt.
I head to the store with my list in hand and find myself searching endlessly for products that are strangely rare here. I say strangely because these are mostly baking products and the baked goods abound. Cakes, cookies, breads – you can find it all. So why is it so hard to find the ingredients for these things?
It started with baking soda and brown sugar and then it spread to cocoa powder and oatmeal. Due to my unwavering perseverance I can now say I’ve found them all, but the frustrations do not stop there.
I shop at 3 main grocery stores. Two are average size supermarkets downtown and one is a hypermarket that we often drive to on the weekends. (Two of these stores are owned by Wal-Mart – big surprise, right? They are everywhere!)
In the US a similar make-up of stores would all carry the same products. Sure you might get different brands or more variety might be available, but overall you could find the same things.
Not so here. One store has brown sugar and the other two don’t. One store has baking soda another store has oatmeal. Don’t even get me started on the milk. I’ve come to find my favorite brand of skim milk here and sometimes the stores have it and sometimes it is like it never even existed at all.
It isn’t like these items have a permanent spot on the shelf. You won’t see an empty spot and think, “Oh, they ran out of my milk today.” They fill the shelves up with other products and what you saw there just two days ago is no where to be found.
So being the organized meal planner that I am, I sit down and find possible recipes and then make my grocery list. Depending on what store I pick that week, I might be out of luck. Consistently there is never everything I need to make what I had planned. It is incredibly frustrating.
I love to cook, but the shopping game down here just makes me want to forget it all and go out to eat. I try to make more Brazilian dishes from the recipes I’ve found, but rice and beans are about the only thing that can be considered a truly healthy option.
Every now and then I do get a surprise like finding the oatmeal. This makes things a little better, but as pessimistic as it might be, I know it won’t last for long.
I am willing to put money on the fact that the oatmeal won’t be there when I go back to the same store and the same spot to find it. Thus, the game will continue…
Friday, March 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
hey!
i think u need to go to the store my family shops at...well, now that i HAVE a car (yay) - will be done monday- I can call you after work, and i can try to explain to you how those things work, but, seriously, things will NEVER be at the same place, because the intention is: clients will walk around, buy what they need, and MORE....
c ya! have a great weekend!
hey, do you wanna go watch Juno on sunday afternoon?
Julia
hey! just read your other posts...there´s defnetelly a lot of talking to be done! hehe
there are big races in Maringá but on specific timings of the year, there are bike races too...they´re awesome!
well, will call you sunday afternoon to maybe go somewhere if ur available!
i still need to take you and Dan out! (my turn! =)
It´s not quite as bad in Santiago - they don´t switch around the spots - but I definitely feel you on things that seem SO normal in the US being either a luxury or nonexistent here. My example is sausage - outside of hotdogs, chorizo, and longaniza, it just doesn´t exist. The concept of using that package with different fillings hasn´t made it to Chile. And the way things are ordered in the supermarket is never how I think it should be, so I end up walking around the store 3 times to get everything I need. The trials and tribulations of expat life, no?
jsg - sorry our plans didn't work out this weekend. maybe next weekend.
emily - That is definitely me at the market. What should be a 10 minute stop turns in to an afternoon. I just walk in circles. :)
Lori,
I am from Sao Paulo and here is a tip...the large grocery stores such as Carrefour and Wall Mart are considered "Discount Hipermarkets", so yes, they move everything around, it is like a discount store, they will get whatever is cheaper that week and place it on the shelves, that is why you see the changing of shelves and isles...
On the other hand if you go to other grocery stores such as "Pao de Acucar", you will see more of what you were used to see in the states, in other words, not being a discount supermarket, you will find the same brands, and the same products at the same shelves, week after week...
The issue with the products you couldn't find must be a regional thing of Maringa. I grew up in Sao Paulo and we had "Quaker" Oatmeal in every store always, it is a staple in Sao Paulo, not hard to find at all, you also find many other brands of Oatmeal and even store brands...the same thing goes for Brown Sugar and Canned Tomatoes, remember Maringa had a completly immigration background than most of Brazil...you had all the Polish and Russians while in Sao Paulo we had lots and lots of Italians and believe me, we have canned tomatoes, diced tomatoes and another gazzilion different types of tomatoes...
Now let me share something about a Brazilian living in the US...
We lived in Dallas,TX, and learned to love Chips with Salsa, we started with Mild, then moved on the Medium and got to crave for HOT...right!... now we live in Boston and we can't find HOT anything here...you can only get the "mild" salsa, if you are lucky you will find "medium", so we have to buy the medium and add crushed canned jalapenos!!!
If you find a health store near you, they should have about a hundred different types of Oat Meal and Brown Sugar, actually it is were you will get the best quality for Oat Meal and Brown Sugar...but don't expect the same bargain you would find at any of the Walmart or Carrefour...
Kind regards
Ray Adkins
Hi Ray,
Thanks for your comment. Maringa is definitely lacking for variety. I'm not sure that we have a Pao de Acucar. I just think it is the small town vs. big town difference.
That is funny about your new love of hot salsa. Yes, it is very unlikely that you would find salsa anywhere in the US as hot as you can get it in Texas! :)
Post a Comment