Beginning early in Holy week people were working hard outside the Cathedral. It took us a few days to realize that they were setting up for a performance, a play depicting the Passion of Christ. I was excited about this and really enjoy these kinds of events this time of year.
It ended up being quite an impressive set. The play was scheduled to take place on Thursday and Friday. We attended on Friday night and luckily the rain held off for the entire performance.
It was a beautiful production. The actors did such a great job. It was a great start to the Easter weekend and a reminder of what this holiday is all about.
Since Good Friday is a day of fasting for Catholics it seemed unusual to get anything you wanted from churros to popcorn. I guess they figure other denominations would attend the event and enjoy a snack, or maybe the fasting thing isn’t a big deal to them here, I don’t know.
Our camera isn’t the best in the dark, but we ended up with a few good pics. I had plans to head back down to take pictures of the actual set on Saturday morning, but unfortunately they had most of it taken down by 10am.
After that great event, I was ready for Easter morning and not just because I could have chocolate. I love Easter morning mass and although I was disappointed to find that they didn’t do a sunrise service here, I was going to make the best of the 9:30am event.
Whoa, what a surprise. Unfortunately it was just like any other Sunday mass. In fact, it was a bit depressing. The music was solemn and everyone seemed very quiet and reserved. I wanted to shout, “Come on people. Let’s get this party started. He is risen! A little upbeat praise music would be nice.”
I was so baffled by the outfits I saw too. Church here, for the most part, is incredibly casual, a little too casual for some women in my opinion. I typically don’t dress up too much for mass at home. Jeans are very common for me. However, jeans with sparkly, low-cut, backless shirts are the norm here in Brazil. I feel it is a bit too much skin for an hour with the Lord.
However, I thought surely the pastels and dresses would come out for Easter Sunday morning. I was wrong. I think I saw two little girls with what could be considered Easter dresses. Everyone else was in jeans and most people wore black. Black!! I honestly couldn’t believe it.
Maybe it is because at home we are headed into spring with Easter and here they are headed into fall. I don’t know. It was just so casual and a bit of a downer for what is supposed to be an upbeat, praise-filled day.
My husband mentioned that there weren’t any Easter hats. Oh, I would have gotten the stares if I would have whipped out one of those! Not that I would wear one anyway (only on Derby day), but it would have been fun to see the reaction.
I haven’t always been at home for Easter so I’m not just comparing the events here to a day with my family. Last year I was on a plane back from Dublin, Ireland and to be honest it felt more like Easter that day than it did here on Sunday.
We came back and I made an Easter brunch for us and we spent the day relaxing and overdosing on the things we gave up for Lent so not all was lost. I do think next year I might try to spend my Easter in Brazil on the beach, though.
Our camera isn’t the best in the dark, but we ended up with a few good pics. I had plans to head back down to take pictures of the actual set on Saturday morning, but unfortunately they had most of it taken down by 10am.
After that great event, I was ready for Easter morning and not just because I could have chocolate. I love Easter morning mass and although I was disappointed to find that they didn’t do a sunrise service here, I was going to make the best of the 9:30am event.
Whoa, what a surprise. Unfortunately it was just like any other Sunday mass. In fact, it was a bit depressing. The music was solemn and everyone seemed very quiet and reserved. I wanted to shout, “Come on people. Let’s get this party started. He is risen! A little upbeat praise music would be nice.”
I was so baffled by the outfits I saw too. Church here, for the most part, is incredibly casual, a little too casual for some women in my opinion. I typically don’t dress up too much for mass at home. Jeans are very common for me. However, jeans with sparkly, low-cut, backless shirts are the norm here in Brazil. I feel it is a bit too much skin for an hour with the Lord.
However, I thought surely the pastels and dresses would come out for Easter Sunday morning. I was wrong. I think I saw two little girls with what could be considered Easter dresses. Everyone else was in jeans and most people wore black. Black!! I honestly couldn’t believe it.
Maybe it is because at home we are headed into spring with Easter and here they are headed into fall. I don’t know. It was just so casual and a bit of a downer for what is supposed to be an upbeat, praise-filled day.
My husband mentioned that there weren’t any Easter hats. Oh, I would have gotten the stares if I would have whipped out one of those! Not that I would wear one anyway (only on Derby day), but it would have been fun to see the reaction.
I haven’t always been at home for Easter so I’m not just comparing the events here to a day with my family. Last year I was on a plane back from Dublin, Ireland and to be honest it felt more like Easter that day than it did here on Sunday.
We came back and I made an Easter brunch for us and we spent the day relaxing and overdosing on the things we gave up for Lent so not all was lost. I do think next year I might try to spend my Easter in Brazil on the beach, though.


9 comments:
Hi Lori,
I must say I surprise to find an american in Maringa!!! I am FROM Maringa, currently living in New Jersey with my fiance. I came across your blog after my best friend in Maringa told me about it. I can understand your odds and pros about living there, but what I miss the most (besides family and friends) is the quality of life we get over there: beautiful parks, great restaurants and nice people! I think you might agree with me... but it is like Dorothy said "There is no place like home!"
Hope you enjoy our town!
Best Wishes
Polyana Dalpasquale
polyana@gmail.com
Hi Polyana,
Thanks for your comment. I, too, enjoy the trees and greenspace in Maringa. It is one of my favorite parts of the city.
Will you get to do much traveling in the states? Washington and Oregon are absolutely beatiful if you get the chance to visit. The parks and greenspace there are amazing.
Lori
Hello Lori,
I'm telling everyone about your blog! Polyana's best friend is my wife. Remember I told you I would tell here about your blog?
Well, she loved it and Poly too. How I said before, it's great to know your point of view about our city and our culture.
Best Wishes!
rics
Hi, I'm Polyana's best friend and Ric's wife!!! hehehe
I understand erverything...
In a Protestant church is a little diferent and more animated...
The things that you said about de catholic church in a easter sunday, are some reasons that made me change to protestant...
God... 10 hours to write this comment to you, and i think is everything wrong! hahahaha
Nanda
Tell us about the portuguese... Are you learning some words?
Nanda again..
Thanks for the comments. I'm so glad you like the blog. I'm always a bit worried about offending someone. I really just try to write about my initial reactions to what I'm encountering here.
I find Portuguese incredibly difficult. I studied CDs for about 6 months before moving here which helped. I can speak some, but my problem is understanding when others speak. My husband does much better than I do. He has a private teacher at his office and is around the language all day.
I took classes for a few months, but now I am getting some writing jobs and have gotten busy working from the apartment. The classes helped, but everyone was learning faster than I was so it was difficult.
I'm comfortable going out and talking to people. I just don't always understand what they say. I feel I know a lot of Portuguese words and how to say most of them, but that doesn't always help. I love to cook and am interested in nutrition so I took time to learn all the foods here and how they translate to English.
I find that people here are not used to hearing a foreigner speak their language so they don't understand even when my pronunciation is close. This is so different because in the US I'm used to being around people who don't speak English that well so I usually understand easily even when they don't say things correctly.
Maybe in time it will get better, but I doubt this whole experience will allow me to become fluent in the language like some people are able to do.
About this: "I'm always a bit worried about offending someone. I really just try to write about my initial reactions to what I'm encountering here."
We perfectly understand! The coolest thing in your blog is your opinion about Brasil and Maringá. Positive or negative, doesn't matter. We respect your opinion and most of the time, we agree!!!
About your portuguese, we can help you. Poly with de food, because she knows, living in USA...
And we (Me and Rics) can help with the rest, if you want and need...
My e-mail: nandabecker@gmail.com
Rics e-mail: ricardo.cezar@gmail.com
hey there, awesome post, and you just made me miss the US even more, i loved the mass there so much, and easter was the best mass i ever went to! it was just great.
About the clothes i agree... i should start going to the mass every sunday again, maybe things will get better =]
Loved the pics, and I will go next yr to that, because I dont think i´ve ever been on that event here.
c ya
Hi Lori, again I found myself at your blog by searching my name on google, per say, Ricardo Cezar, what impressed me more is that there's another person with the same name in Brazil and appearantly very close to you! I hope your doing well in Maringa or wherever you may be in Brazil. Oh, I miss my Portuguese so much! Lovely and magic language. Do you find it similar to Russian (in the south) and Chinese (in the north) sometimes? Just a curiosity. People have raised that with me, and as a Brazilian, I never bothered thinking of it.
Big hug from North Shore, New Zealand.
Post a Comment