There are lots of words I could use to describe myself, but the list has never included things like ditzy, scatterbrained or flakey. I’ve always been a bit proud of the fact that I don't hold true to my hair color.
I enjoy a blond joke as much as the next person, but I always thought I was an exception to the stereotype. Staying aware, organized and structured has been a priority.
Unfortunately, I fear things are changing and I think it has everything to do with being an ex-pat. I’ve been back in the US for two weeks now and I simply cannot kick this head in the clouds feeling. I float from place to place. Driving, ordering food and talking with friends makes me feel like I am in la-la land.
I’m dropping things, locking myself out of my hotel room and running late for appointments. It is so not like me, especially the last one.
It seems the longer I live abroad the longer it takes me to adjust to what was once familiar. I feel a bit oblivious to what is going on around me most of the time.
I can only imagine what people are thinking. Am I now one of those ditzy, scatterbrained people I used to complain about? Unfortunately, I think the answer may be yes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
The answer is not yes!!! You are just living trhough something new... you have lived a lot abroad and when you get home, you, even if not conscious, compare places, feel the difference in everything that's happening around you.
It doens't even have to be in another country, I have lived 4 years in a different town and when I came home... I felt different, like you do... so imagine this feeling multiplied but hundreds, you get your own feeling!!!
Your body has to adjust, your relaity has changed once again and you have to give yourself time... it's normal!!!
Lori,
Come on! I have to strongly disagree with you!
Your answer is absolutely NO!
How could someone so ditzy and scatterbrained write such an interesting and captivating blog with so much great information and greatly well described experiences?
;)
You are NOT ditzy. My friend laughed at me always turning into the wrong place to manuever around the corner strip malls in the US on this last visit. You are just out of practice with the ways things work in the US. I could not pump gas, use the self-check out at the grocery store and lost my keys too!! Just consider it "cultural lag". Did you forget how to say something in English or translate it literally (I do that a lot :) )
We all have days like that. I walked around in such a daze when I was back in the US (culture shock? perhaps...) that people assumed I wasn't from there.
Nadja - Thanks! You really don't recognize the changes until you travel back. It is a crazy feeling for sure.
Ray - You are too kind. Thanks!
Corinne - Oh the parking! I'm doing that too. I back up like 10 times before I get it right. Ha! Yes, I'm hoping it is cultural lag that will wear off.
The Portuguese words are much more readily available in my brain. Any time someone does something for me obrigada is almost out of my mouth before I realize it. :)
Sara - That was me yesterday. I was walking around Fresh Market just in awe of all this stuff I haven't had access to in a while. I was trying to find something for lunch and I started to get some strange looks as I circled the store again and again in a daze. :) Yeah, I think it is definitely the culture shock.
Haha, funny post, but I don't believe that Brazil has converted you into a now ditzy blondie! I think it's just that as expats we go through change waaaaay more than any normal human being should. And sometimes our brains need a little bit of time to catch up :)
Totally "counter-culture shock". Ha, I love reading your blog because I totally relate.
Kyle - Awww. Thanks. :) It is definitely a lot to take in.
Jody - Thanks! Yeah, I worry about how much I'm experiencing of it now. It should be in epic levels come October. Ha!
Post a Comment