Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Big News at the Bakery

I walked into the bakery late last week planning to pick up the same ol' bread for toast and sandwiches. Although I find the integral (wheat) bread rather boring I buy it often. I enjoy the white breads here, but also crave something a bit heartier and integral has been the only option.

I walked up to the shelf where they keep the fresh baked, wrapped sandwich breads and did a double take when I saw this:



Multigraos!

The bakery is making multigrain bread now! It is full of wheat, soy, oats, sesame, flax, corn and rice along with some other grains I haven't translated yet. And it's made without sugar.

Yes, this may seem like a small thing, but it is a huge step for Maringá. I've often walked around Curitiba and seen lots of whole grain breads sitting in bakery windows and wondered why this was so difficult to find around here. You could find a packaged version at the supermarket which also contains about 30 preservatives and the simple wheat varieties were available, but nothing hearty and grainy and full of fiber.

Who knew that such exciting changes were happening in my little part of Brazil!

3 comments:

That Girl said...

Have you tried making bread there? I could never find a good wheat bread, so I tried making my own - and the DANG WHEAT WOULDN'T RISE. I wasn't the only one, either. I don't know what it is about Brazil, but I could never get whole wheat bread to rise.

Congrats on the multigrao!

Mallory Elise said...

...............so. we drove 8 hours to spend the weekend with some friends outside Florianópolis, and i was at a grocery store (one of the big annoying ones) and in the bakery section....i looked up...and saw a sign above a whole stand full of "não contém glúten aqui!" haha! crazy! thought that would make you smile :)

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

That Girl - I have tried and with no luck as well. I wasn't sure whether to attribute it to my lack of skills, the ingredients or atmposhere. Good to know I'm not the only one with problems in the area. :)

Mallory Elise - Love that! Glad you got to enjoy the area around Floripa. Great pics on your post!