Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Big Travel News!

It is hard to believe that we made this decision to move to Brazil over two years ago. Since that time we have always had the idea of more travel on our minds. First we thought we’d do a lot of traveling in Brazil and South America. That was pretty much nipped in the bud once we got here and saw flight prices.

Man, Brazil desperately needs a discount airline. When you think about all the good places to go around here, you would think there would be one. Jet Blue (Azul) is helping, but not quite there yet. I thought that the US was bad after seeing prices in Europe, but South America takes the cake. I mean, come on, Ryan Air has its faults, but you can’t beat flying for 20 euro even with a bag charge.

Sure, I know everyone raves about bus travel in Brazil, but I’m going to be honest with you, for me, choosing to take a bus is like self-induced torture. I love trains, but I can’t stand buses.

So our travel throughout the two years quickly turned into the idea of an extended SA trip at the end of our time here, and once again that has changed too. We are still trying to find a stellar deal to some select countries (Chile & Argentina) during one of the random airline sales, but it isn’t looking hopeful.

So once again we set our sights on a different location. Europe is always in the running and we thought I’d go to Ireland with my husband again while he worked and then head off to Italy, but that wasn’t feeling right either.

Picky, picky, picky.

Hmm…so what does that leave us? Where could we travel that is affordable, incredibly interesting and offers some of the most amazing food on the planet?

Southeast Asia, anyone?

That’s right, the trip is planned (at least most of it) and I can hardly contain my excitement! The month of October, after we leave Brazil, but before we settle back into the States, we are going to be soaking up all the Southeast Asian culture we can.

Our itinerary is set and we will be off to: Hong Kong, Bangkok-Thailand, Chiang Mai-Thailand, Krabi-Thailand, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur-Malaysia and Bali-Indonesia!

I plan to take you with me, but likely under a new blog. The Brazil theme isn’t going to fit well as I take on life’s new adventures. I’m still working on that though.

In the meantime, start throwing your ideas at me. If you’ve been to those areas, I’d love to know what you did and your favorite foods. All advice and friendly traveler warnings are welcome!

3 comments:

Sara said...

Omg. I'm so jealous. I've been dying to make a small tour of Asia just to eat. You know, hit all the major cities and stop for food. Yum. I don't really know any good travel destinations. Sorry. I just wanted to share my cuisine fascination.

Poofbegone said...

Lucky you! I am dying to see Southeast Asia. I will probably go the next time I go to Japan as long as I am careful not to blow all of my money in Japan like this last time, lol.

When I was in Brazil, there was a very cheap airline called GOL. I got a pretty cheap flight from Rio to Salvador. I mean, you GOTTA go to Rio if you are in Brazil. It is an absolute must!

Well, I am excited to vicariously live through you during your travels in SE Asia. Have fun and eat lots of good food! I LOVE SE Asian food.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Sara - Food is the major priority for sure. The one thing that isn't done well here, around Maringa at least, is Thai-Indian-pretty much anything Asian besides sushi cuisine. I can't wait!

kumichan - I've heard it is easy to blow a ton of money in Japan! Gol is still around and one of the major airlines. I think the problem lies in both the travel cities and what I consider discount. It is easy to find the random discount flights from cities like Salvador to Rio, the problem is getting us all the way to Maringa. Usually driving to Londrina an hour away doesn't help either.

We are flying a lot of Air Asia on our trip and some of those flights are costing us 30 USD a person with a bag and check in fees. Flights from Maringa to anyplace interesting are usually at least 200 and that is a rare deal for someplace other than Sao Paulo.

It's just a bummer that's all. I know everyone says we have to see Rio, but it really isn't of interest to me. If someone said i could go to Rio or to Manaus. I'd pick Manaus and the Amazon. Just a personal travel preference I guess. Now if someone gives me a free ticket to Rio, well that's a different story. ;)