Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Answer is – Yes!

Since living in Brazil there has been one question that gets asked of us over, and over, and over, and over again. “Have you had feijoada?” It could be a Brazilian friend, acquaintance or even a person back home with culinary interests.

My favorite answer for the past several months has been that I’ve had vegetarian feijoada. This always gave me a good laugh because it would usually result in a look of completely surprise by the person asking the question. Do they even make that? Well, yes they do, at the little vegetarian restaurant I’ve grown to love here. It’s full of soy-based meats which usually aren’t my cup of tea and not that good for you either, but in the end it is just black beans and rice and I like that.

To be honest, I was getting a little tired of the question. Personally, I feel that Brazil has so much more to offer regarding food than feijoada. I realize it is the national dish, and a visitor should experience it, but when it comes down to it you’re talking about black beans, pork and rice. As with most of the dishes, the farofa (toasted manioc flour with bacon) and the vinaigrette (tomatoes, onion, parsley and lime juice) really make the meal for me.

Well, my husband had wanted to try the real thing, and I figured I couldn’t keep making my claim that there were better foods than feijoada if I had never actually had the real thing so we set out to try it on Saturday.

There were a couple different options for Saturday feijoada and we headed to our first pick which, as it turns out, no longer offers it on the weekends. So our second pick was pretty much by default because it was along the walk back to our apartment. This place is actually a rodizio pizza joint during the week, but on Saturday it is traditional feijoada buffet.

The experience as a whole was quite pleasant. There were several people there and even a live band playing samba music. We really need to learn more about the different types of samba here. We know there are several and this was the kind we liked, but we couldn’t identify it. I had my heart set on a picture and maybe even a little filming, but as we finished up and I was ready, the band took a break to eat lunch!

Okay, so let’s talk about the food. I’ve mentioned that feijoada is a national, traditional dish which in most cultures translates to - it has a lot of random animal parts. In the case of feijoada this comes in the form of the pig.

I must also mention that almost every person we’ve met here has told us we should try feijoada. Then when I express concern about random pig parts they quickly tell me that they would never eat it out. They would only eat their grandma’s or moms. Well, okay, so you are suggesting I go out and eat, but telling me you never would. Hence, the reason we’ve been here two years and haven’t had it yet.

Most restaurants who offer special feijoada days are kind enough to separate out all the parts so you can choose beans, along with the meat you want, or no meat, as they just had black beans as well. This is why you see all the different crocks in the picture.


So depending what you enjoy you could have your beans with calabresa (a sausage), carne seca (dried meat), costela (rib), (pig foot) or orelha (pig ear). Hmmm…can you guess which one I went for? I stuck with calabresa, a tiny bit of carne seca and then just beans.



At one point when there were no people around, I did a little digging with the spoon in the pot of all the random parts. I was tempted to try the pig ear and then pulled up a nice flabby piece of flesh which practically initiated the gag reflex. The pot with the feet was full of pieces of bone. Then there was this one pot that we couldn’t identify – rabo. Considering that google is telling me that rabo translates to bum, posterior, stern or tail, by the looks of what was in that pot, I’m going have to go with tail.

The thing is if someone would offer me a tiny bite of say ear or a small piece of meat off the foot, I’d probably try it (sorry, no-go on the tail). However, I do not want a big piece of said part staring back at me from my plate. I just can’t stomach it.

So, the feijoada, minus certain parts, was very good, but I had no doubt it would be. However, I will say it made us feel like complete crap the rest of the day. We literally walked in the door and hit the bed for a nap. Even after the nap we could barely move. It wasn’t the typical bean bloating and all that, we just felt awful. Personally I think it is all the pork fat that my body simply isn’t used to. It was a good, cultural experience, but I doubt I’ll be dining on an afternoon of feijoada again anytime soon.

After the experience my prior opinion still stands, however. If you are in Brazil, try feijoada, but please don’t stop there. There are so many other foods that I would consider much better especially if on the coast. Moqueca (a stew made with peppers, onions, meat or seafood and coconut milk) and Camarão na Moranga (shrimp and cheese baked in a pumpkin) come to mind.

At lunch I asked my husband if you can truly say you’ve had feijoada if you didn’t have all the parts. I don’t know what others would say, but I think I’m going to go with yes. Finally I can stop talking with people about it because – Yes! I’ve had feijoada.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Yep, rabo = tail. I'm another gringo who hasn't had the courage to try the feet or ears, yet.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Ha, ha! Thanks, Jim. Glad to have the confirmation and to know that I'm not alone in this. :)

Stephanie said...

I really want to say that I love beans. But I DON'T. And since we have them every day and they are such an important staple in Brazilian food, I miss out on a lot. I have tried Feijoada...I am just not a fan. But I think it has more to do with the miscellaneous meat parts than the beans :) Im just a scaredy cat.

Here at the MIL's we eat all kinds of things. Including pig feet, ears, chicken feet, etc...It seriously makes me ill to listen to my family eat the chicken feet...I just can't stomach it!

I sound like such a whiner! But I agree, there is SO much more to Brazilian cuisine than feijoada...like their pasteries, or doces...yummmm hahahaha Im a dessert girl!

Nadja Kari said...

Well... I love feijoada, but I don't eat the meat in it. Ever... i just like the beans and the taste of them having the meat as some sort of sauce hehehehe !!! ;)

byeee

Emily said...

I liked the feijoada I've had, but that was at a family friend's house in Rio, and if there were any strange bits I wasn't aware of it!

I agree with you that moqueca is delicious...that and farofa are the two things that always come to mind for me when I think of Brazilian food.

corinne said...

Lori,

I like feijoada, but don´t eat the feet, ears or tail either. In fact I know few people (Brazilians) who do. My husband makes a good feijoada using white beans, like they do in the northeast. It is better than the traditional version in my opinion. I am not all that into beans either (with the exception of a good caldo de feijão), so don´t stress about it. I have had a lot of food in Brazil that I like so much better. Also, feijoada does really knock you out. In that book "How to be a Carioca", they have a really long list of "things you should not do after eating feijoada" - operate heavy machinery, drive a card, have sex, and the list goes on!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Stephanie - That has to be an interesting experience. I doubt I'd be eating much either if that is what my kitchen was filled with. :) It is quite an adjustment to be in a culture where there are such staples that you are thought of as strange for not enjoying them. In the US, anything goes really, or at least it feels that way after being here.

Nadja - Well that is good to know. I was watching a few plates and noticed many people were just like me - just the beans. :) I agree, that the beans are good in the meat sauce, I just don't want the meat.

Emily - That is the best way to enjoy strange bits, when you don't know what they are. Ha, ha! Yeah, we will really miss the farofa. One of our favorites.

corinne - That's hilarious. I should have read the book before dining, then I would have been prepared for the coma that hit me the rest of the day. I'm interested to know how the feijoada differs by region. I like the black beans too. White beans reminds me of my mom's ham and beans she made while we were growing up.

Bruna @ [Run, Forrest! Eat.] said...

Hey Lori, as a brazilian, I just LOOOVE feijoada (only in the winter!), but I have never had the weird parts either. My dad (the official feijoada cooker at home) always puts a lot of pork filet mignon and low fat sausages on it. He doesn't use the greasy weird parts. That way you get a "light" feijoada as well. It's still delicious! You definately don't have to eat ears or tongues or tails!!!