When we first started walking along the narrow, cobblestone streets it instantly reminded me of Prague. That is, if Prague Old Town hadn’t been full of massive amounts of tourists and tacky souvenir shops when I visited.
That’s not to say that Ouro Preto didn’t have its minor inconveniences too. For example, the crazy drivers barreling down the narrow, one-way roads each time I stopped to take a picture. I couldn’t help but think how awesome it would be if they closed the roads to traffic and used a trolley to take people up and down the hills.
Oh wait, did I mention the hills? Man, there were hills! Probably the steepest of any place I have visited (which was a city and not specifically a mountain hike). They certainly added to the city’s charm, except of course, when you were huffing and puffing up them. Thank goodness it wasn’t too hot yet.
After being in Ouro Preto about a half hour I realized why my host was so caught up on seeing everything we wanted to see on one side of the Praça Tiradentes (the square or plaza in the center of town) before venturing to the other. It was because the Praça is at the top of the hill and both sides are downhill. So once you go down to see one and make the trek back up to the center you sure as heck aren’t going back down that side again!
I made it of course, and despite my break from running during my trip, they helped me to avoid feeling bad about the massive amounts of Minas food I consumed at lunch. Thank you, hill workout.
We stopped at a cool little place called Chafariz for a meal that started with house cachaça and Caldo Verde (soup with collard greens, potatoes and pork) served in a soap stone (Pedra Sabão) bowl.


It was followed by a buffet of foods specific to Minas Gerais such as Feijão Tropeiro (beans, farofa, fried egg, garlic, onion, bacon and sausage), Frango com Quiabo (chicken with okra) Frango ao Molho Pardo (chicken in brown sauce which is actually blood sauce). And yes, I tried the last one because what kind of world foodie would I be if I didn’t at least try it. Good, but just like the pig ears, couldn’t sit down to a whole plate.
Okay, I got a little side tracked with food and exercise. Rewinding to the start of our day.
I snapped a quick picture of the church of St. Francis of Assisi, then we headed down to the sanctuary of Nossa Senhora da Conceição which also held the museum of Aleijadinho, or Antônio Francisco Lisbôa, an 18th century sculptor who developed a degenerative disease mid-life leaving his hands disfigured yet he continued to sculpt beautiful works of art. (Unfortunately, no pictures in the museums.)
On our walk back up the hill we stopped at the fair so I could pick up some souvenirs carved out of soap stone from the area.
Our next church stop was the Nossa Senhora do Pilar. I am told this one of the only, if not the only, church that has undergone restoration. I have to say that after seeing churches of Europe, these didn’t seem quite as impressive. There was beautiful detail and the inside was covered in gold leaf, but unfortunately the funds aren’t there to afford the upkeep. On the other hand, I found the outside of the churches to be gorgeous with beautiful architectural detail.
Other visits included the Casa dos Contos which featured a pictorial view of all the Brazilian currencies that everyone is always telling about. It also allowed a tour of historic slave quarters. That’s always such an eerie, saddening thing to witness, but I feel very important to understand just how badly human beings were treated (and in some places still are).
The next stop was the mineral museum with stunning gem stones from the area. Given my interest in gems as an adult I really think I could have made a career out of staring at those beautiful things.
We finally wrapped up the trip with a walk through the Museum Inconfidência where I was able to fill my brain with all kinds of facts about the uprising and Tiradentes (had no idea that term was a nickname which means ‘tooth puller’ until my visit, by the way.)
I learned more about Brazil’s history in eight hours by visiting Ouro Preto than I have in two years of living here. At the same time, as beneficial as all that knowledge is I have to say that I was most impressed by simply the city itself. Words and pictures can’t describe the beauty of the landscape in the area - the rolling hills and mountains behind historic buildings, and being fortunate with good weather, the bright blue skies that made my pictures pop with brilliant light.
Looking back I find myself not wanting to visit more monuments and museums, but wanting to have the opportunity to sit and soak it all in. I could have stared at that landscape forever. A beautiful place that Ouro Preto.


7 comments:
How amazing!! I am VERY jealous! I want to go to Ouro Preto badly! And now I am in love with those little soap stone boxes. They are beautiful. I have always loved little boxes like that. I cant help it. They serve no purpose other than to look pretty! I want them all!!
Glad you had a good time and I will be referencing back to this post whenever I do make it there!!
Also, internet connection bad, so not much time, but loved the coconut chicken recipe, so I will be trying that out!
Lori,
Lucky about the weather, indeed. If you had come a week later, it would have rained the whole time, especially for our trek to Ouro Preto.
I love your recaps Lori! Gosh everything looks so beautiful :D
Stephanie - I love the boxes to. Put jewelry in them - purpose dilemma solved. Ha, ha! Glad you liked the recipe! And be sure to check out The Salty Cods post on Ouro Preto a couple weeks ago for lots more info on the area.
Corinne - Sounds like I timed it just right. That would have been a bummer! Hope you are staying dry!
Andrea - Thanks! It was such a beautiful place. Got your email, I'll write back shortly.
Great post, I´m glad you enjoyed. Beautiful blue sky in the photos!
I can see in one of your pics that, though you´ve been there for just 8 hours, you could see the city when the lights are turned on, it was starting to get dark. The city is so beautiful at night, with the old light bulbs, and the best thing is that the traffic, that is quite intense during the day, almost disappears, you can walk in the middle of the streets. There are far less people in the streets, also, OP is quite busy during the day. And some charming restaurants in the basement of 200 year old houses open for dinner... Conclusion: You should return with your husband to enjoy it hehehe Like you said, it´s nice just to walk by, sit in a café, stay for a long time resting and chatting in front of a beautiful church... Not worrying about going up and down the hills to see everything in a short time... Just relaxing and enjoying the city. Among the historical cities in Minas Gerais, one that is also very nice to visit is Tiradentes. It´s smaller, not as rich in terms of architecture, but it´s very charming and quiet (I think the city itself has 6.000 people). And it´s 12km away from São João Del Rey, another beautiful one and even richer in terms of architecture, though I still think staying in Tiradentes is nicer. If you have the opportunity to stay in Minas for a longer time, it´s worth a visit (it´s 250km from BH)
abs
HI Lori!! wow i have to say that i', quite honored for the referral~
i have a post from about a month ago (though still on the main page) on ouro preto, though mostly on mine crawling.
hehe. when i read "the crazy drivers barreling down the narrow, one-way roads" i felt a little guilty--WE were one of those crazy drivers barreling down one way roads getting completely lost. one way dead end roads--yeah. hehehe.
I actually have a huge feature article on Minas Cuisine in a travel section of a food magazine coming out in September, i should send it to you :)
Bruno - My hosts did tell me about Tiradentes, but we didn't have time to visit. I would love to go back and explore the whole area more extensively. And I would love to do just as you mentioned, more sitting and soaking it all up. :)
Mallory - Yes, definitely send me the article. I would love to read it! Ha, ha! Well, at least we were there at the same time so your driving didn't put me in danger. I think you would have paused for me to take my photo, right? :)
Post a Comment