By this time in the US, all the kids are dressed up and knocking on doors for their candy. I did try to keep with the pumpkin theme this year and I made an Abobora (pumpkin) pie. I used my grandma’s recipe. I bet in all her life she never thought that her pumpkin pie would be made in Brazil! The pumpkins here are very different in looks than those in the states, so we’ll see how it tastes.
I doubt we will see any kids dressed like the latest pop star or action figure in the streets and there will be no knocks on the door tonight, but we’ll celebrate in our own way – pumpkin pie and I am wearing my black and orange bat shirt. Happy Halloween!


3 comments:
Hi!
Could you find all the ingredients for that? How was the taste? too different from "home"?
Do you mind to post the recipe here?
thx :p
Yes, it turned out great. I used a different crust recipe with butter instead of our Crisco - vegetable shortening. I ended up bringing some pumpkin pie spice with me from the states, but pumpking pie can be made with just cinnamon. This is how my mom does it at home because she doesn't like some of the other flavors in the spice - ginger, nutmeg and allspice.
I used the green abobora that I found at the feira. I've seen orange ones in the supermarkets and they are probably closer to our pumpkins in the states, just a little different shape.
Drop me an email at BlondieInBrazil@gmail.com and I can send you a typical pumpkin pie recipe from the states.
sweet!
doin' it now.
Post a Comment