We’ve been experiencing some pretty intense storms here in Maringá lately, the worst of which occurred yesterday. I was in Portuguese class and was very happy that I was with other people. Experiencing storms in a high rise apartment in the middle of a city by yourself can rattle the nerves a bit. Storms seem to vary here. On Tuesday we experienced one that had a lot of lightening, yesterday it was all wind. I find the city to be very scary during the slightest bit of wind. I’m not sure if it is the structure of the types of trees here, or a lack of pruning dead limbs by the city, but even a small storm produces tons of debris all over the streets. I never want to be out walking or driving in a storm here. As I walked home, I saw limbs twice my size lying all over the roads. I walked past one house that had a mango tree in the yard. There were unripe mangos strewn all over the place. I’d hate to get hit in the head with one of those during a big wind storm.
When a storm blows in here, the sky is so interesting. Clouds form that look a lot like our wall clouds in the US, however, we are lucky that no funnel clouds drop from them. They simply blow in and bring a lot of rain.
I love how people react to the rain here too. It is no big deal. I walked from the grocery store back to the apartment yesterday and was completely drenched. The rain actually felt pretty good. Some people pull out umbrellas, but most just make their way trying to stay under building canopies. In the US, people typically scramble to open their umbrellas to walk two feet into the store from that close parking spot they spent 20 minutes circling to find. Of course, you know from previous posts that I wouldn’t be one to care about getting my hair wet. Considering how hot it is when that sun is out, a nice cool shower is the best thing around. So rain, I don’t mind, but give me a safe place when that wind starts.


1 comment:
That last one was really ugly. The sky turned red in a way I had never seen before.
Every time it's about to rain in Maringá it scares the hell out of me, Im always apprehensive about my family so I call them to check if they are somewhere safe.
The trees are what worries me the most, Im afraid one of those huge limbs will fall on my head, my car or someone I know.
Beware.
Post a Comment