I’ve only been back in the states a couple days and already there have been too many you’re definitely back in the states moments to count. Some have been good, some not so good. And I thought I wouldn’t have anything to write about!
I arrived in Atlanta’s airport early on Monday morning after a pleasant flight – if that is possible for a 9 hour flight. However, I sat next to a very nice man. He was a Brazilian citizen currently living in the US. I told him I was a US citizen currently living in Brazil so we had a lot to talk about and he gave some great travel trips.
Once I got through the madness of customs I found myself in terminal C in the airport which is apparently the only terminal in the ATL airport that has no Starbucks. So after 9 hours of dreaming of an Eggnog Latte, I had to settle for a Latte from Seattle’s Best. It was still good; I had just had my hopes up so high.
My first day back, I went to lunch with my brother. We went for BBQ – American (Memphis) BBQ to be exact – the kind with the sauce, much different than Brazilian BBQ. I was asked if I wanted a refill on my Diet Coke in a to-go cup. Of course, I said yes. The waitress came back out with a cup so large I thought it might tip the table over. I told my brother that they don’t even make cups that large in Brazil! That was definitely a reality check that I was back in the US.
Next, I was washing dishes in my parent’s house and I was washing them in cold water. Finally, my brain clicked and I thought – hey, why am I using cold water when I’ve got hot available! I’d completely forgotten that it was even available. We only have cold water in our kitchen at the apartment. We are very lucky to even have hot in our bathrooms there.
I made a grocery run to Wal-Mart yesterday and all I can say is I want the feira back!! The price and quality of produce here, especially with it being winter, is just awful. I had gotten used to putting limão (lime) in my water in Brazil so I thought I would buy some to have here. As I reached for a lime, I looked at the price. It was US$0.44 each – for one!!! That is over R$1.00 each. I pay about R$1.00 for 1 kilo (2.2 lbs) in Brazil. It is pretty unbelievable.
I’m sure these experiences will continue to occur as my month and a half back in the states continues. I’m glad to be back to some more modern conveniences, but I have to say that I’m glad that I’ve broken those unhealthy habits like monster soft drinks (diet or not). I think so far a major lesson I’ve learned in Brazil is realizing how much you actually need. One soda or drink with dinner can really be enough. We are just overloaded with that phenomenon of eating and drinking what is placed before us in the US. Hopefully, I’ll maintain a balance of enjoying the conveniences, but keeping the good habits I’ve picked up in Brazil while I’m here.
Thursday, November 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
hey!!!
I loved the post! haha it is exactly how I felt but the opposite way! I thought that in the US it was crazy how you could get as many soft drinks that you could drink! and the cups were all HUGE! haha
I hope you're doing well... as for me... now I will probably have more free time, and we'll be able to hang out more!
Hope to find another job soon though!
I'm not sure, but I think this blog is around food only, often junky food, and maybe about a American way to colonize more sustainables and healthy ways to eat. Am I right?
Do you know there is an epidemy of obesity and diabetis in USA? The big chains are the most responsible of that, and you seems work for them claiming about who is not here or there.
This is your third or fourth trip by plane in one year. Did you hear something about Green Houses Gases produced on plane trips? I'm frustrated about the level of conscience you show here.
There is a reason why my blog often focuses around food and eating practices. I am a nutritionist and my background is in nutritional and exercise sciences. I am very interested in the eating and other health practices of different cultures. I'm very aware of the obesity and diabetes epidemics (if you can call it that) in the US. I worked in that area at the academic level for the past few years and studied about it 7 years prior to that. Fast food companies are just one component of the problem. Saying that they are the cause of the problem is short sighted. If you have any questions about those topics feel free to ask? I'm happy to share information.
Actually, having been to Brazil several times, Ireland, St. Lucia and other places in the US this year, I have made numerous flights. Many airlines now offer the option to purchase carbon credits to help offset carbon emissions on flights. We normally fly Delta and they have recently introduced these options which we plan to take advantage of. I plan to continue to see the world and experience other cultures while doing what I can to help the environment. Have a blessed and Happy New Year!!
Hi!
I just came across your blog and read some of your entries. I "discovered" Brazil for myself in 2003 and have since spent quite a bit of time there (and my current boyfriend is from Rio). One comment on your experience traveling is that I don't think you should worry too much about the cleanliness of US$50 hotels (I assume you really mean Pousadas), which should be very clean (unlike many other countries in Latin America, I've never had experiences with dirty sheets even in the youth hostels I've stayed at). To really get the most of your travel time there, it's great to experience some family run b&b's, which in my experience have been very cheap and clean, and they generally serve excellent breakfasts (better than hotel bkfasts). Also, you are in the South, which tends to be more expensive and more developed. If you ever head to the north/northeast, check out Morro de Sao Paolo, Itacare, and in the Southeast, my all time favorite place - Ilha Grande (and if you do Paraty on the same trip, don't forget to ask about the mudbaths!) AND, Rio is definitely worth a good week's visit! Here's about the only place I'd advise staying somewhere for $100US a night.
Thanks so much for your comment. I appreciate all the travel advice. We are definitely looking for interesting places to visit. We did end up staying in a family run Pousada in Floripa and it was wonderful, including the breakfast. :) We also plan to go to Rio at some point during our 2 years here. Thanks again. Any other advice information you have to offer is welcomed!
Post a Comment