Monday, January 21, 2008

Futebol!

I wasn’t sure what to expect for my first Brazilian futebol (soccer) experience. Contrary to what most people think, just because I’m American doesn’t mean I don’t know anything about the great sport of soccer (as we call it). I’ve actually found it a lot easier just to call it soccer. I feel I should call it futebol because that is what everyone else in the world calls it. However, when an American says futebol there is all this confusion as to whether we are talking about football Americana or soccer, so it is soccer. Anyway, my brothers and I played in my younger years and my husband did as well, so I’m pretty well versed in the game and I enjoy watching it. Outsiders will never be able to grasp the full depth of love and passion that Brazilians have for the game, but it doesn’t mean that a lot of us don’t love soccer all the same.

When you think of soccer games in countries other than the US visions of riots, trampled fans and violence usually come to mind. Considering we are only in the small town of Maringá, I knew things wouldn’t be quite this crazy, but I still had no idea what to expect. It also doesn’t help to see a police force on the field stocked with riot gear - shields, bullet proof vests and all. So while you’re feeling a little uneasy about that, they shoot off the incredibly loud fireworks as the team enters the field. Once you realize they’re just fireworks and your heart rate returns to a normal level, it is time to enjoy the game. It was at this point that I realized that everyone else was here to do the same thing I was, have fun. The crowds were spread out and you could feel the excitement of the game. All worries and fears melted away.
















One thing I love is that the team runs out onto the field with their kids at the beginning of the game. Small guys and girls are sporting little Galo (Maringá’s team) jerseys and trying to keep up with their dads. Soccer is a family passion here. We realized at the second game that the large group of babies and women sitting below us were the wives and families of the players. Yeah, we sprung for the covered stadium seats. It was well worth the few extra bucks as we watched the rain come in halfway through the game. It is the rainy season here, so better safe than soaking wet.

I’ve been to two games so far and will definitely be going for more. After years of being in a culture that concentrates on football, basketball and baseball it is awesome to be around people who appreciate soccer even if I can’t understand what they are cheering. Oh, and the police force with the riot gear, they were for escorting the refs after the game. I’d say they need them after the poor calling on Sunday night! Vamos Galo!!!

No comments: