Sunday, January 27, 2008

Spinning (speeeenning) in Brazil

I remember back in college when I used to attend and teach Spinning classes on a daily basis. After months of doing this, my dad asked me what I was doing at Spinning. It turns out while I was out pumping up the cardio, my dad thought I was out sewing. He had thought spinning had something to do with crafts! The thought of this always makes me laugh.

We finally found a good gym with decent Spinning bikes here so I was thrilled to take my first class last week. I was told by someone who takes the class regularly that they recently hired a new instructor and that he was a lot of fun. I got to the class a little early to ensure that I would get a bike. For a group exercise instructor there is no greater compliment than a full class and this guy had it. Almost all the bikes were spoken for even 15 minutes before class started.

We started with some easy riding and instruction and then for the next 50 minutes I experienced the most intense and crazy Spinning class of my life. The colored lights were flashing and the music was blaring. He kept the class at a sprint for almost the whole time. There were no climbs and very little jumping. This definitely isn’t my favorite style of Spinning, but this guy was so entertaining that it didn’t matter. He played upbeat Brazilian songs and sang at least some part of every song. His fitness and motivational ability were unbelievable. He was definitely born for the job. So if there were a competition for the best Spinning classes, Brazil (at least this gym and instructor) would win it hands down. I’m excited to see what he has in store for next time.

3 comments:

Ju Lima said...

I'm glad you liked it!!! I'll be there tonight! see you!

Unknown said...

Hello,

I got here just hitting the button, "view next blog".

I love spinning class. However, when I started the beginner class this past summer, after the third week, I was told they were going to cancel it. CRAP! Finally found something I loved. Not enough people went to the class so they only had the advanced, which was always full, and started an hour later than the beginner, meaning I couldn't go cause I had to pick my daughter up at daycare.

Wow. You moved to Brazil! AMAZING!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Hi -

Thanks for your comment and welcome to the blog! I'm sorry to hear about your Spinning class. I can't believe that they didn't start another beginner class with the new year and new exercisers.

Spinning is one of my favorite forms of cardio so I'm glad I found classes down here in Brazil.

Trust me there isn't a day that goes by that the reality doesn't hit me. I'm usually saying, "Wow, I'm actually living in Brazil!"