Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Londrina - Igapó Lake

It is always a wonderful thing when a city takes care of a nearby body of water. Whether it is a lake, an ocean or a river, taking care of it makes the difference between an inviting attraction and an embarrassing eyesore.

I’ve always loved gazing at water. It can be waves crashing, the reflection high-rises on a calm surface or the gentle trickle over flat stones. I find it all peaceful and relaxing.

The third of my posts about Londrina is about Lago Igapó (Igapó Lake). I’ll admit I wasn’t expecting much. Maringá has a large lake inside the Parque do Inga. It is a nice sight; however, its shores aren’t very inviting. It is almost too remote, tucked inside the large zoo and gardens.

I was pleasantly surprised with Igapó. It far exceeded my somewhat negative expectations. You could see the lake expand out beyond both sides of the road where we stopped to take in the view.


On one side the locals gathered to fish with corn as their bait and very basic fishing rods without reels. In the distance was the sign for the Londrina Yacht Club. People speckled the bright green shores on the other side of the lake and several jet skis could be seen on the water.



On the opposite side, residents were taking advantage of the gravel walking trail which looped around the lake. It was beautiful, lined with trees, and even had lights along the trail for evening activity.

Several high rise apartment buildings towered over the water. A wonderful view, no doubt. We also saw some very protected (think German Shepherd snarling at you from under the gate) houses along the waters edge. Prime real estate I am sure.

This was a definite highlight to the trip. I just wasn’t expecting something so manicured and maintained around a lake, considering what I’ve seen so far in other cities here. We are already making plans to go back and work in some exercise, walking around the lake, on our next trip.

2 comments:

Emily said...

This looks so nice! I´ve only been to Rio, and I would love to do some more exploring of Brasil in the future. Have you been able to see a lot of the country/other parts of LatAm while you´ve been down here? Also, definitely feel you on the brewery post...living abroad means sometimes you just want the comforts of home rather than the unique cultural experience, and there´s nothing wrong with that!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Hi Emily,
Thanks for commenting and understanding my desire for the comforts of home! Living someplace is so different than visiting there.

We've been to Foz do Iguacu, Curitiba and Floripa. We have a lot more traveling to do around the country. We want to make it to the tourist destinations...Rio, Salvador, etc. But I'm equally as interested in the less traveled places (at least by those outside Brazil).

We hope to do some type of 3-4 week tour around Latin America at the end of our assignment before we head back to the states. It is just too difficult to fit in with my husband's limited holidays and vacation.

Looking forward to reading more from your blog. I'm glad to help with any Brazil travel you might plan.