Thursday, February 14, 2008

No Valentine’s Day??!!

Valentine’s Day has always been one of my favorite holidays, even before I had a permanent Valentine to celebrate it with. I've always loved trading cards, gifts and candy with my close friends.

I think it has something to do with it falling in the dead of winter. Just when you feel down and out at the end of holiday celebrations and the weather has been dark, cloudy and cold for weeks, here comes Valentine’s Day to lift your mood with its bright red colors and celebrations of love.

Imagine my disappointment when I found out that Brazil does not celebrate Valentine’s Day. More than anything I was really surprised because almost all the holidays celebrated here are based in Catholicism, so why not celebrate St. Valentine? I hear they have a Boyfriend and Girlfriend day in June, but it is not the same.

I did notice a few things around town that resembled some recognition for the day. The grocery store had several amor (love) cards out in their selection. In addition, a formal dress shop had every mannequin in the front window in a red gown. Maybe this was just coincidence. I don't know.

What I wouldn’t give for a little bit of Dove chocolate right now. Luckily the clearance Christmas candy was just being cleared out and the Valentine’s displays going up when I was in the states. I managed to smuggle back a bag of my favorite conversation hearts to remember the day. Yes, I know everyone else hates these little antacid candies, but I happen to love them!

So Happy Valentine’s Day! Even if you don’t have a special someone to celebrate it with I’m sure you can find love in some area of your life, whether it’s family, friends or a stranger who simply smiles at you on the street and wishes you a good day. And that is what Valentine’s Day is all about – celebrating love in any and every form it exists.

3 comments:

Sharonk1178 said...

Hey Blondie in Brazil.... sorry to hear that Valentine's Day isn't a celebrated custom in your "new" culture. If only I had known I would have sent you a valentine (smile). But what the heck, better late than NEVER, HAPPY "BELATED" VALENTINE'S DAY!! I ended up having a fun time with my daughter as she was in town for the weekend celebrating her birthday which fell the day after valentines day and we had a awesome weekend.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Sharon,
Welcome to my blog. Thanks for the wish! I'm so glad yours was a great time. I hope you'll keep reading.
Take care!

Sharonk1178 said...

Hey Lori aka "Blondie in Brazil": Your Missing Breakfast message definitely sounds like a SHOUT-OUT for a care package from the states....LOL. We know breakfast isn't great, but tell me.... how is the water??? Stupid question I know but in my travels I am always concerned about the water (go figure).