Thursday, February 19, 2009

Battle of Açaí

First let me ask, does anyone else who knows the proper pronunciation of açaí get irritated when they hear the commercials in the States? They totally say it wrong. Aren’t I just so proud that I know the difference? I actually thought this in Dec, then I was catching up on a food blog I enjoy called Pink Bites (a Brazilian living in Seattle) and she mentioned it too.

I’ve had the chance to try a couple different varieties now and I think I have my favorite. A couple weeks ago (before my trip back to the States) my husband and I went to Jungle Juice.

The original plan was to go to Açaízeiro, but they can’t seem to keep a constant opening schedule. I think this is a bit of a trend around the city. They were once open for lunch, then they started opening at 3:00. We went at 3:00 and were informed they opened at 4:00 so we went to a competitor. Sorry, I was hungry.

I had never ordered açaí at Jungle Juice, but decided to give it a try. They mix theirs with juice and top it with fruit. Some varieties have ice cream mixed in, but that just doesn’t sound good to me. I don’t need all the calories of such an energy dense fruit plus a bunch of ice cream.


Well, I can’t say I was exactly disappointed with our order, but the mixture lacked texture. It was more like a smoothie dessert.

Despite my annoyance with the operational hours of Açaízeiro I have to say that there açaí na tigela rocks. I love the kind that is black and gritty and discolors your teeth. I guess maybe I feel like I’m getting more of the actual fruit.


There is one thing that I can’t grasp an understanding of though. All the açaí places open mid-afternoon. Most açaí has guarana syrup in it (an herbal/berry form of caffeine). I can’t figure out why anyone wants to take in mega-doses of caffeine at 4 or 5 o’clock in the afternoon. I need a place that opens about 10:00am, right when my morning coffee is wearing off and I still have enough time to metabolize it all before I go to sleep.

13 comments:

Poofbegone said...

My oh my, you are making me very jealous. No tropical fruit compares to acai!!

I noticed that the acai in Rio was much thicker, stronger, and darker than the acai in Salvador.

That is weird that they don't open till the afternoon! Acai is like breakfast food for me.

Yea, acai with ice cream sounds weird.

Rogério Penna said...

the funny thing is that in the north of Brazil, where Açaí originates, they eat it in a completely different way...

They mix it with mandioc flour, or eat it without sugar... some weird stuff like that.

Anyway, long time I dont eat Açaí. My girlfriend forbade me of eating, because of all the 1 trillion calories per milligram of Açaí...

corinne said...

The weird operating hours must be a Maringá thing. In Rio you can get açaí just about anytime. Here in BH it is a little harder to find, but most malls will have a little stand and be open when the mall is. If I have açaí I try to have it instead of a meal, because of all the calories. I had one almost everyday in Rio during my last visit. Nothing is more filling or refreshing in that carioca heat!!

Lori said...

kumichan - I would love to have it for breakfast. I really think the store hours is a Maringa thing. It has been really hard to get used to.

Aces - I'd love to make it to the Amazon and see where it originates. I figure I will overdose on it while I'm still living here and make up for the calories when we move back to the US. :) It is great workout food for heavy exercise days like my husband's 10 mile runs. :)

corinne - We have definitely enjoyed it on the hot days here. It is a meal replacer for sure. It is so filling!

Emily said...

So the real questions is, what's the correct pronunciation? I say ah-sigh-EE because if it were Spanish with that accent you'd accent the last syllable, but I could be totally off!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Emily - You've got it. Around here there is an accent on the i. On the commercials in the US they just say ah-sigh. Sorry to leave you hanging! Should have elaborated on that. :)

Vivi DiLopes Adams said...

I love acai. Have you ever tried it with soy milk, bananas and strawberries? And after blending it, add some granolas on top!

Sara said...

The pronunciation...hmm... isn't it like ah-sai-ee? I've only tried it in juices, but I've heard it's heavenly.

Renata Mastromauro said...

Hey Lori!

I was on suite101.com and found your articles. I am from Maringá, so I was very curious to read things about my city through a foreign eye. So then, I saw you had this blog and here I am. I read almost all your posts (lol!) and I totally love it!! It is so funny to see how an american see Maringá (you know people from Maringá are not used to see "gringos" around) and I can tell you I feel the same way about the city... I like the same places you do (Jungle Juice, Villa Gourmet, Mr. Bachir...) and when I am there I really miss the american coffee shops, where you can take you lap top and spend the afternoon just drinking coffee and hanging out.

Last december, I came to Seattle to spend three months. I will be back home in two weeks.

Anyways... I really like your blog so I felt like writting to you. I added it to my favorites, so I will stop by again!

Take care!! :)

Renata

Rogério Penna said...

Just to say... yesterday I tried a new Gatorade flavour being sold here in Brazil: Açaí+Guaraná.

Well, if it wasnt new, its the first time I noticed it. Anyway... it tastes completely like... Guaraná. If any of you try it, be sure to tell if you felt the Açaí flavour, because I could not.

Catherine Nelson-Pollard said...

Just came across your blog via Married Chilean Style. It's interesting for two reasons, first of all my daughter is blonde and planning a gap year in Brazil so good to hear your experiences and second because we used to live in South America so the memories flood back when I read this.

http://the-perpetual-expatriate.blogspot.com/

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Vivi - Mmm. I bet it is great with some vanilla soy milk. I'll have to try it.

Hi Sara - Thanks for your comment. Yep, that's right. It is so good. Especially on a hot day because it is so cold. :)

Hi Renata - So glad you found articles and like the blog. Thanks for commenting. I just love Seattle. I hope you are having an awesome time there! Stay in touch and we can get together when you return to Maringa.

Aces - I've tried that Gatorade. I really like it, but my husband doesn't like it at all (although he like guarana). I agree with you. I don't taste much acai at all. I think it is just colored like acai. :)

Hi Catherine - Thanks for stopping by. I've found your blog through Just Married as well. I enjoy catching up on it every week or so. I find your experiences so interesting. The more south your daughter goes the less of an issue her blonde hair will be. :) There are of course blondes around everywhere, but in a small town like Maringa you will certainly get some looks if it is really light. I hope she has a great time!
It is more of a sign than anything. Hair combined with my style and accent make me feel like I have a gringa red light flashing on top of my head most days. :)

Zandria said...

I've never tried it! It's probably one of those things where I'd point rather than try to pronounce it, just so I wouldn't do it incorrectly. :)