White – it is a crisp, refreshing color once with restrictions as to the time of year it should be worn. I like white, personally, and although I rarely wear it I think it looks very nice on others.
This really has nothing to do with Brazil specifically, but more with travel in general.
Why do people wear white when they travel?
I can’t understand this for the life of me. On every trip I seem to notice it everywhere. Just Monday on my flight out of the States I saw beautiful, long white sweaters, white pants and white cardigans and white jackets.
Don’t these people have a fear of getting dirty? I mean, it’s white! Anything you brush up against or sit on is going to get it dirty and when you think of all the overly used places you sit and the opportunity to bump something dirty when you travel, it is almost a given your white won’t be white for long.
Then there are the accidental spills. I’ve seen one too many flight attendants bump a cup of coffee as they hand it over and the splashes landing right on the person sitting beneath them.
Okay, maybe I’m just jealous. When I wear white it is an invitation for all stains of color to make their way to the front of my shirt or my pant leg. I just can’t do it. When I travel it is black, brown or some other dark color that won’t show dirt.
I think what amazes me the most is that when I see white it is not just one piece of clothing. It is the entire outfit. All I can think is that is an accident waiting to happen.
Does anyone else out there notice this? Oh and if you are a white wearer who can look just as beautiful and vibrant after 24 hours of travel as you did when you put it on, know that you are an inspiration to me.
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Hi there, I was googling my own name and found Blondie in Brazil, ended up here. Good luck for you over there, im a brazilian living abroad, funny coinscidence!
cheers
Go to the extreme south if you can, its safer and its more german/italian than anything else! ;-)
Maybe this is a really stupid and untrue observation, but I feel like rich people wear white more than anybody else. Like if someone is going to be dressed in head to toe white on a plane, it's inevitably a first class passenger. Maybe their flight attendants up there don't spill as much coffee, hahaha!
Also, in no way am I suggesting that you're low class because you travel in dark colors. I too stick with black :)
Lori,
You are clearly a very experienced traveler.
I also travel ( too much ) and black is the most practical color to keep yourself looking clean the longest.
Anything white ( for me ) would be "asking for trouble", I do have the super practical all ocasion favorite Black Sueter, dark navy suit.
However, I do always have on me the "stain remover" moist toilets to go, so even if I have a little flight attendant accident on my dark clothes I can use my "to go" stain remover gimmicks...
White clothes is almost impossible to keep it clean, I don't know how this people do it...
Mamacita,
It is funny you say that because the other day, at the dog park near my house a ( apparently Rich ) lady driving a brand new White Lincoln Navigator came to the dog park right after a little snow storm, wearing an all White outfit from head to toe, a little white poodle and white tennis shoes!!!
We were all looking at each other like...is she crazy? Or just eccentric? it just snowed a little, it is kinda wet and the dogs will be digging in the snow into the mud...it wasn't five minutes before she had dog paws printed all over her "nice" all white outfit.
She left the dog park with a very dirty "White" outfit and shoes!!!
Fandang-o - Thanks for your comment. I do hope to make it more south. I find the whole area really interesting.
Mamacita - There is a whole glamour, expensive feel to the white look, isn't there? I know what you mean. It is almost like an attention thing. I will admit most of the time I probably do look pretty low class when I travel. Ha, ha! I'm all about comfort. Since I don't travel for business anymore, it's comfy old jeans and tennis shoes.
Ray - Ha, ha! I travel with a Tide stick too. Always have to be prepared since I'm prone to spills. :) That's funny about the white dressed lady at the dog park. I would have been wondering what in the world she was thinking too.
Post a Comment