Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I Could Drive and Drive and Drive

Few words can adequately describe my feelings this week. The weather has been outstanding. Of course, the locals are complaining because it is a bit cool for central Kentucky at the end of May, but I am loving every minute of it. The sun has been shining and everything is green, green, green.

I drove to a friend’s house outside the city last Sunday and I felt like I could have driven for hours. The windows open, the bluegrass, the mares in the fields with all their foals. Horse country is outstanding!

I think driving represents independence to me. I know a lot of people are happy in cities and take advantage of public transportation. In select cities I enjoy that too, but through my experiences living in Brazil I’ve really felt the loss of having a car of my own and driving where I want.

Just driving to the local park alone this week initiated thoughts of days past that brought me to tears. There is so much I like about my new life, and while the things I miss from home seem to grow less with passing time, there are still those things that I will never get over. Driving and not being constricted to a 7 block walking radius are two of those things.

I mentioned horses earlier and I actually took that drive on Sunday to see a horse. My good friend lives on a beautiful piece of property and just happens to have a pregnant Palomino. The baby is just days away and while I was disappointed that I missed seeing this beautiful creature I was happy to go for a walk with the oversized mama, my friend and three friendly dogs.

We spent the afternoon walking the field and catching up. I was so overwhelmed by the country because it has been so long since I’ve been out in it. Not just any country, but country in this part of the US during this time of year. It is beyond gorgeous.

5 comments:

Nani said...

Wow, that is a beautiful horse!!! I have always had a passion for horses, althouth I didn't grow up around any... hehe, and I although I loved horses I was always afraid of them... weird huh?

You know, I do feel the same way about driving. But in my case is the opposite. I didn't drive in Brazil, my parents would take me everywhere I wanted because I was so afraid of traffic and because our car was a manual one, so I always had a hard time driving it.

So when I arrived in America and started driving an automatic car everything just became so easy, so smooth... I started loosing the fear of driving and became very confident. I always drove when I had nothing to do, I woould drive to a different town sometimes (in MA) just for the pleasure of driving. It was relaxing, made me think... it was revigorating. I don't know how to explain. Driving to me is like reaching my independence.

I wrote too much , as always, haha
Hope you are having fun!

Guess who I met here in Tucson last week???

CORINNE!!! It was so nice to meet here and her little boy Kevin!
Did you get to see her in DC?

:)

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the states. The scenery there looks wonderful.

I'm one of your blog subscribers...

I'm in a local contest that runs for the next 7 days. My dad & I made a "Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video" (he's the cameraman) of Cleveland restaurants.

The two videos with the most YouTube views and Stars will be chosen to be finalists, and I am in 2nd place but am asking for your help to stay there! The winning video will become an 'official' tourism video for the city!

All you have to do is click here ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2_Fwhsl7i8
Unless you hate it...give it 5 stars....then....
If you're feeling particularly generous, send it to all your friends (anywhere in the world) and ask them to do the same.

Thank you so much in advance!
Tricia
Friday giveaways: www.triciachaves.blogspot.com

KM said...

im just reading your blog for the first time and just wanted to say i love it! you write so well - can't wait to hear more about your adventures

corinne said...

I can so relate!! I love the East coast in the spring!! DC was all abloom with flowers (as well as Chicago). The weather is great and it is just gorgeous. It is the best time to visit. I also love driving in the US (especially after driving awhile here in Brazil). Just so much easier!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Nani - I know exactly what you mean. I'm kind of the same way with horses. Love them, but definitely careful around them.

That is so great that you met Corinne!!! Unfortunately it didn't work out for me to meet her. Maybe later this year in Brazil. :)

Hi Tricia - Thanks for you comment. Interesting about your video.

nyGRINGA - Thanks so much for your kind words. I appreciate you reading and hope I can keep it interesting. :)

corinne - We are the same way. My husband always says when we get back to the US we are going to be taking roadtrips everywhere just because they feel so much easier than in Brazil - lots of four lanes and places to stop. :)