Monday, May 26, 2008

Amazing Cakes

I realize this blog about my adventures in Brazil has a strong emphasis on food, especially desserts. However, I am a foodie and in my opinion the best way to experience a culture is through the food. To me, it is how cultures are both alike and different at the same time.

A few weeks ago I took a detour down a side street in Centro and discovered an interesting little spot – Sensações Doces. My first assumption is that it translated to Sweet Sensations, but Google translator is telling me it is more like Sweet Feelings so maybe one of my regular readers from Brazil can let me know the true translation.

I could tell by peaking in the window that this place was all about cakes. When it came time for my husband’s parents to visit us we knew that they would be here during Mother’s Day. We thought this would be the perfect occasion to try one of these amazing cakes.

Picking just one cake to try proved to be a harder task than I had anticipated considering that they have 68 unique flavors!! We learned from those working inside that there are many of these shops in Sao Paulo state, but that this was the first in Maringá. You purchase the cakes per kg, of course, and they also have a little café where you can try it by the slice and enjoy a coffee.

I took the menu with me after we got all the details and studied it for about 3 days before I finally went in and placed the order. My husband gave me free reign on choosing the flavor which I suspect because it was such a difficult task. I ended up choosing the Chocolate com Amendoim, Chocolate with Peanut.

We were not disappointed! I am not exaggerating when I say that these cakes are truly amazing. It was a chocolate cake with a layer of chocolate mousse and a layer of doce de leite (caramel from milk and sugar) with peanuts in it. The cake was then iced with chocolate frosting and covered with expertly shaved chocolate curls. It tasted every bit as good as it looked.

Cakes like this would go over so well in the US. They are so unique! However, there is one thing that would be very different between Brazil and the States. This cake was about 1 kg (2.2 pounds) and cost R$19. That is $11.50 USD. I mean, look at this thing. Less than $12?!!

There is a bakery I love in Lexington and they make specialty cakes that aren’t nearly as beautiful as this one. They charge about $40 a cake!

So now I’m trying to figure out how many holidays over the next year are deserving of a cake. We are looking at almost one a week if we want to try them all! I think I will just settle for stopping in every now and then and trying a different slice.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's the difference between Sensations and Feelings?

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Well, sometimes a sensation and a feeling can be the same thing when you are talking about something physical.

However, a sensation can also be something great or amazing. Sometimes when used in this context it is an adjective - sensational.

I'm probably complicating it too much.

Anonymous said...

I think the meanings are the same here in Brazil, so you can use Sweet Feelings and Sweet Sensations for "Sensações Doces".

Let's get the cake as an example. It can be a great cake and make you fell great too. But it also can be the greatest cake ever... The word "sensação" could express this two ideas, and both can be understanded in the name of the store...

wow... It's hard to explain something in english for me... I wish you understand me.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

That is a great explanation! You said it much better than I could have. :)

Thanks for helping me out!

Ju Lima said...

Hey Lori! Sensações means sensations.

Feelings will be sentimentos - something you feel about someone or something. Google translator missed it, I guess!

Oh, and hi, by the way! i'll write you, I promise! ;)

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Okay, cool, thanks! That helps. Hope all is well. I will talk to you soon!

Rogério Penna said...

yes... feelings is "sentimentos". Sensation is "sensação".

Wikipedia
Sensation: sensations are the first stages in the functioning of senses. first stage in the biochemical and neurologic events that begins with the impinging of a stimulus upon the receptor cells of a sensory organ

Feeling: the conscious subjective experience of emotion. are also known as a state of consciousness, such as that resulting from emotions, sentiments or desires.