Since I had to leave my Macy at home during these Brazilian adventures I’m looking for every opportunity to see dogs, even if it is through the glass at the local pet store.
We went to the mall on Saturday night. It is the only place you can get a meal at the unspeakable gringo hour of 5:30pm. We were hungry from skipping lunch and from not having any food in the apartment after our travels and didn’t want to wait until 9:00pm for our dinner.
We stopped by the pet store to check out the dogs as we normally do. To my surprise we saw this sign next to the pet store.
It was all about health – dog health – and about the things your dog should avoid eating. I have to say I was thrilled to see it. While a lot of people here have dogs, I often question the level of care due to the amount of strays I see and the lack of affection I witness between dogs and the owners out in the city. I never really feel that there is the love of dogs here like there is in the US.I was glad to see the sign and of course it got me thinking. It is interesting that Maringá is up to date on dog care, but completely behind the times when it comes to other things. Some topics that come to mind include the importance of seatbelts and child car seats, the dangers of loud music and open alcohol containers in the car.
I guess this is excellent for the family pooch, but what about the two year old I see standing next to the steering wheel of a moving truck with his head two inches from the dash board? Sometimes the lack of common sense just gets to me. It exists in the US too, but I just find it more overwhelming here.


9 comments:
Hi Blondie.....
yes things are diferent down here...
No to go coffee cups, We sometimes mistreat our pets, We are less formal, we arrive late @ parties...we don´t have Target! LOL
we drive like crazy!
I think we aren´t that bad! things are just diferent here...
YES we do need some changes....I think a better education and a stronger economy will put us on the same status as the US. ThAt will take 2 or 3 genaration. maybe we won´t be alive to see the transformations......until there enjoy what we have the best to offer! Nice weather! friendly people! Great tree lined city (maringa)! Exotic fruits! Have you tried caqui?? (persimmon in english) I don´t think you can find that in KY...it´s the season here now...
and Try your best to learn Portuguese...
Big HUg
hermes
Hi hermes-
Thanks for the comment. I have tried caqui. I didn't like the one variety, but I got a caqui chocolate at the feira and I did like that one.
I just got a juicer this weekend and I'm so excited to experiment with all the fruits.
My favorite fruits so far are maracuja and banana maca.
Hi Blondie,
speaking of fruits.......
have you tried Laranja Lima???
It's a type of orange but less acid, I never found Laranja Lima in the US... I went to the grocery store here this week and bought some, they were juicy and delicious!!!!
BTW I miss GRAPEFRUIT!!! I never found it here.....
have a nice week!
hermes
I have not tried Laranja Lima. I will have to get some. I usually get Laranja Pera and I love those.
We definitely don't have those in the US. It is usually either Florida or California navel oranges.
I miss grapefruit too! I also loved grapefruit flavored stuff like juice and candy. A friend here said you might be able to find them at the Japanese market that is over on the same street as the futebol stadium. Not sure of the name, but there is a Roberto's in front of it. I can't remember if I saw them the last time I was there or not. It has been a while.
I think what they probably have here is called Pomelo or Toranja, Next time i´m in maringa i´ll go to the japanese market, I know which one you´re talking...
Are you enjoying the "cold" weather?
I love it! I'm going to write about it later this week. :)
Hi Blondie
From now on the fall/winter season will be like a roller coaster, one day is cold in the morning, warm in the afternoon, cold again @ night, and some days the weather will just be pleasent to warm...
That´s our subtropical winter!
and expect less rain than in the summer time.
I´ll wait your comments on the weather later this week....
Candied coconut is delicious!!! My mouth watered just looking at your picture! I think i´ll have one tomorrow! LOL
Lori,
There are Grapefruits in Sao Paulo's feiras, the pink and the white varieties. I even had pink grapefruit gelatto style ice cream at a Mall in Sao Paulo, keep your eyes open and you might find it in Maringa soon...if it isn't already there.
Laranja Lima is reeealy mild, Brazilians usually give it to babies and newborns because it's low levels of acidity, it is mildly sweet and not sour at all, you should definitely try it.
While you do that, I will keep enjoying the New England berries, they will be in season soon...big, juicy blueberries like you would never find in a grocery store, we usually go to the "pick you own" farms and pay by the weight...
We just filled our freezer with fresh picked strawberries...
We also love the apples, there are many kinds as you know, and near our house in Mystic,Connecticut there is a 150 year old apple cyder mill, steam powered, it has wonderfull apple cyder...
We are enjoying all of this before we get back to Brazil and the fruits will be all different...
Take care
Ray Adkins
I love apple season in the States. Fall is my favorite season and that combined with hot apple cider and caramel apples just makes it so great. We have many orchards where I am from too, but I hear there are some great ones in the northeast.
The apples aren't horrible in Brazil so it isn't so bad. I have found some good Fuji's, but they are often too soft for my taste.
I also love to pick my own blueberries. When I go home I get a lot of blueberry flavored things and blueberries themselves because I miss them so much.
Post a Comment