Saturday, April 26, 2008

Sometimes Life Plans Itself

I don’t really consider myself a planner. To me a planner is someone who sets everything out with the goal of things progressing in a specific manner. They typically stick to their plans and get frustrated when things don’t go accordingly.

I think a better word to describe me is a preparer. I research things and I’m ready for what lies ahead, but I’m pretty flexible. I don’t always have to stick to my plan and I usually expect for it to change. I’m just prepared.

I might not be a preparer in all aspects of my life, but most. For example, you know I love doing trip research. With that process I usually find some specific restaurants I’d like to go to while visiting a place. When I actually get to my destination it is likely that I’ll walk by an interesting spot and throw out my original plan all together.

A planner would be frustrated by this, but I’m a preparer. As the name implies I’m prepared with options, but changing the plan is often as fun as planning in the first place.

Well, finally arriving at my point, sometimes we try to plan and prepare for life, but most of the time life plans itself. I’ve been on an unexpected trip in the U.S. to attend a funeral which explains the limited postings lately.

In addition to this unfortunate trip, my husband got called back to Kentucky for meetings before we returned to Brazil. So a few days trip then turned into a week and a half.

Despite the circumstances, the trip was good. It was definitely great to be back in the States. The time of year was perfect. I’ll write a little more about this later, but the beautiful spring green was just what I needed. I was also able to spend some time with family and friends, something I’ve definitely been missing lately.

I got my fix for just about every single food I’ve been craving - Starbucks, Panera Bread, Buffalo Wild Wings. I could go on, but it isn’t something to be proud of! I had way too much in only a few days, but when you can’t cook and you’re desperately missing favorite comfort foods it can be too much to resist. Much to the benefit of my health the hotel we stayed at had a good gym. It even had an elliptical trainer!

Of course the trip sparked ideas for me since I’m constantly comparing my life in Brazil with my life in the U.S. So there is more to come. I also have a few pictures of springtime in Kentucky.

No comments: