Monday, April 28, 2008

No To-Go Coffee? Well, I Guess I’ll Have a Beer

I’m not trying to beat this topic of the lack of to-go coffee into the ground, but every time I return to Brazil from a trip elsewhere I’m hit with this hard reality once again.

While sitting in the Sao Paulo airport on Friday, I realized something that had never occurred to me before. I can get beer to-go here, but I can’t get coffee to-go. How crazy is that?!

I can walk up to any airport restaurant kiosk or any eating establishment in the food court at the mall and order a frosty cerveja and it will be served to me in a plastic cup. I am then free to take this plastic up with me as I walk around.

What I cannot do is order a nice cappuccino, receive in a disposable cup with a lid and leisurely walk around. What is wrong with this picture? It just seems completely mixed up to me.

I guess when one is on the go, it is better to be intoxicated than caffeinated.

To take it a step further, passengers in a car can openly drink a beer, but there is no coffee available for take out during long commutes. (Yes, I know that the whole drinking in a car thing isn’t exactly legal, but they don’t enforce it. Having a law and not enforcing it is the same as not having a law, in my opinion.)

I always experience the impact of this somewhat odd phenomenon when I go back to the states. I’m so excited to get a coffee to-go I can barely wait to find the first available line at the airport terminal. However, when at a restaurant and ordering a beer with dinner I have to consciously remember that I actually have to finish it before I can leave.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Brazil the law don't work. We have lots and lots of laws, but nobody respect them, starting from our president, governors and "prefeitos" (don't know the english word).

It's sad. :(

We have all the power to go to the top, but we stay in the bottom, walking in circles... :(

About the coffee... Well, we don't use to drink a lot of it like you do in US. We drink small cups of coffee only. No one sell it in big cups...

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

In the US, although most are enforced, we have problems because the punishment isn't strict enough so it doesn't keep people from committing certain crimes.

From what I'm learning the whole small, quick coffee is a thing throughout South America. In the US we take it on the go, but it is still something to be enjoyed and savored even if it is at a desk while we work! :)

Elaine Bittencourt said...

I'd certainly miss that too. And hot tap water! =)

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

The hot tap water has definitely been an adjustment. It is so difficult to clean dishes well. I'm also very aware of contamination in the kitchen. I miss the action of hot water to kill germs.

Elaine Bittencourt said...

Not only that, but washing your face early morning, during winter!? oh no, I don't miss that at all! heehehe

My mom has visited us 3 times, and one of the things that she misses the most is the hot water! LOL

On the other hand, my sister will be moving to a new house (new as in they are finishing building it) in a couple of months, and they have hot water all through the house.