I’m from a place in the U.S. that has 4 very distinct seasons. While a Kentucky/Indiana autumn is my favorite, I really love them all. I find the positives in the dead of winter – I like sweaters, snow and hot chocolate, and in the heat of the summer – I like cookouts, fireworks and being tan. (Yes, I know that last one isn’t that healthy. Well, I guess the cookouts aren’t really either.)
I’ve already discussed my need for variety and that need extends to the weather. I never knew how much I loved seasonal changes until I moved here.
My running joke with my husband is saying, “I wonder what the weather will be like today. Oh wait, it is going to be sunny and hot.” Weather forecasters truly have an easy job in Maringa.
We had some rainy days a few months ago that were awesome. This was the rainy season I guess. Now that we are headed into fall, though, it is so incredibly hot - sit in the apartment and drip sweat hot.
The apartment got up to 86ºF this week. We even have split air conditioners in 2 rooms and I think they quite possibly might be the most inefficient ACs ever.
The hardest thing about it for me is that I can’t cook. Well, I could if I wanted to boil along with the water in my pot. I love to cook, however, simply turning on the burner raises the temp in the apartment at least 3 degrees. The oven is much worse.
At this point I’m not even asking for cooler weather, just at least give me some clouds so the sun stops baking the living room in the afternoon.
Again, I just need variety. The big joke in KY is that if you don’t like the weather, wait a minute and it will change. It used to be a source of frustration, never knowing if you needed a sweater, sunglasses or an umbrella. Now I’d just love to wake up one morning and not know what the weather will be like.
I’m desperately looking forward to that short few weeks in June and July where you just barely need a long sleeve tee.
I wrote this last night and our internet has been down so I didn't get the chance to post it. Believe it or not, it stormed like crazy today, although the sun is now peaking back through the clearing clouds. It was great while it lasted, though! I guess all it takes is writing a blog post about something to get your wish!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
The blog gods say, "Ask and ye shall receive" :)
Ha! Yeah, it kind of felt that way. Hmmm...what else have I really been wanting around here? Maybe I'll write a blog about Starbucks. :)
lori,
i live in fortaleza and we only have two seasons here. rainy and dry.
april rains.
rest of the year, every single day, is between 25 and 30 degrees...
oh. i like your blog.
I want a million dollars!!!
I think your blog gonna make my wish come true! hehehehe I'm kidding, of corse.
Wait a little while and then the cold will be come. Last year, the first cold day was may 09. I am not forgetting, because I had contractions in pregnancy because of the cold that day and almost my baby born premature...
Thank's God, She came at the right time (very cold, July 10).
Do you wanna know my baby? www.flickr.com/photos/nandabecker
Proud mommy!!!
Hi Barbra -
Welcome to the blog! Glad you like it. What state is Fortaleza in?
Nanda - Ha, ha! Who knows. It is worth a try. Maybe I am good luck!
Adorable pictures.
lori, it's in ceara, which is in northeast. very nice weather, but, as i said, bit boring for those who live here.
i've just read your entire blog (couldn't stop reading) and it's so well written and interesting.
i have my favourite posts already. :) it's kind of funny see somebody having impressions and feelings about something that is pretty normal for a native.
i spent a few months in canada in 2005 and i still miss some stuff you talk(ed) about here. me and husband went to us last year (during the spring!) and i was so HAPPY to have some goodies back we don't have in brazil.
pancakes, maple syrup, waffles, HONEY MUSTARD chips, lots of kinds of candies and ice cream. i think the thing i miss much is a nice bagle. just found a nice recipe in www.katheats.com and i am about to try.
i hope it doesn't turn out being a big cooking mistake.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm really glad you like it.
It is so great that you mentioned bagels. I didn't eat them a lot living at home, but now that I can't have them I am craving them like crazy! Hopefully the recipe will turn out okay. I actually used to work at a bagel shop when I was in college.
Funny you should mention maple syrup. I have a friend here who says the same thing. She lived in the US a while and really misses it.
We are very much on the same page these days! I'm trying to think of winter as a fun time to wear different clothes - I am really sick of all my warm weather stuff - but I know that come July I will be SO glad to be on vacation back in California, getting a break from winter. I like about a week of cold, and then I'm just over it. But that week is very important. Maybe you guys will get a cold snap as we head into "winter"? And I like this "blog and ye shall receive" philosophy, I might have to try it out for myself!
Post a Comment