I think I mentioned in my first post that when we made the decision that we would live outside the US for a while, my first choice was Europe. I found the idea of a small town with markets, bakeries and boutiques enchanting. I thought it would be so nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of (north) American life. To be in a place where stores were closed on Sunday and family life was respected.
Well, I may not be in Europe but I am experiencing some aspects of what I had wished for. While I still think, given the chance, I would enjoy living in parts of Europe much more than Brazil, I’ve definitely reevaluated my desire to live in a culture as I described above.
Oh, how I miss stores and businesses with early and late hours! A 24/7 brightly lit, giant Super Wal-Mart is even appealing to me right now!
Stores here open around 8:00 or 9:00am. They close at 6:00pm at the latest. There are a couple grocery stores and maybe the mall that are exceptions, but this is the basic rule.
For services like the post office or bank, you can just forget having the opportunity to go there if you work. We asked about bank hours when my husband was opening an account and they said they were open 11:00am to 4:00pm. Seriously?!!
While this might work for someone who is employed downtown, it is not an option for someone like my husband who works outside of the city. There is no way he’d be able to run errands or wait for apartment repair appointments and deliveries (we’ve had a lot). Lucky for us, I have the time during the day to get these things done.
So you might be wondering, what about the weekend? Oh, it gets better on the weekends. (That was a little sarcasm there.) On Saturday stores open about 9:00am and close at 1:00pm at the latest. On Sunday the city is a complete ghost town. The only thing open is the mall, but you can only go to the mall so much. Plus, the malls here are only filled with overpriced designer clothes, not really anything you would need on a daily basis.
The one store we’ve found that is open on Sunday is BIG. That is the actual name. It is basically a super Wal-mart and is, in fact, owned by Wal-Mart Brazil. It is on the outskirts of town though and everyone and their mother, sister, aunt, uncle go there on the weekends so it is definitely NOT a stress-free shopping experience.
So the one thing I once thought to be a negative in the fast paced culture I lived in prior to being here, is the one thing I am missing the most right now. I think fondly of my Sunday afternoons of leisurely strolling the aisles of Target, or the late night stops by wally world to pick up some groceries.
It isn’t the stuff or the name brands I need, it is the presence of options. This whole city seriously lacks them. I need options and variety in my life!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
it's the same here. fortaleza is a little better, tought, because we got beaches, nice weather, many tourists around... so, not so ghosty.
but the thing i hate more is on saturdays... here they close at 2 pm. 2pm is supposed to be the beginning of my weekend.
I wish so much we were closer to the beach. It would be nice to take an easy weekend trip. I'd want to go all the time!
I think the closest beach for us would be the Paranagua area near Curitiba. That would be at least a 6 hour drive so it isn't possible for a quick trip.
Clearly it's not as bad in Santiago, but you won't find a 24/7 supermarket even here in the capital! Sundays most things are closed, and banks only deal with customers from 9 to 2 (I literally could not believe this when I found out). My boyfriend's still a student, so he gets to run errands while I'm at work, but I'm not quite sure what we'll do next year! Small town life is overrated, give me a Starbucks on every corner and neon lights all night - it's much more convenient, even if it does lose some of that charm.
Totally agree with you. I do miss my Starbucks!
Lori,
I have to tell you...this frustration with store hours happened in the US as well...
In Dallas, we got used to everything 24/7, Dallas even has a HomeDepot 24/7, and a 24/7 Walmart and Target in every corner...
Moved to Boston...you have to drive about 30 miles to the closest Walmart, they are never Super Walmart, they still have the old small Walmarts here, the same thing goes for Target...smaller and not 24/7 and you can hardly ever find a 24/7 grocery store.
The Banking hours in Boston are also reduced comparing to Dallas, I think this changes from city to city...
Dallas, you could find a Starbucks in every corner...Boston...NOT...but you have 5 DunkinDonuts in every corner...honestly DunkinDonuts beats Starbucks in taste anytime... not to mention is cost less then half...
P.S.: Starbucks arrived in Brazil, there are about 5 in Sao Paulo, maybe they will get to Maringa soon ;)
Also, as you probably know, Sao Paulo has absolutely everything open 24/7...but that would be a whole other chapter...
Kind regards
Ray Adkins
Lori,
I forgot to mention that the Banking hours in Brazil are regulated by the VERY STRONG UNIONS, yes, it covers the entire country and cannot vary more than one hour later or ealier...all the Banks must follow these set of rules that protect that bank workers.
In the US each bank decides their working hours...
I am all for longer hours, but while the UNIONS rule in Brazil this will be a hard one to see change...
Regards
Ray Adkins
Post a Comment