Sunday, April 27, 2008

Springtime in Kentucky

Although the main purpose of this blog is to share my experiences of living in Brazil, from time to time I will mention my other travel; mainly because this is all part of the experience. It seems I can’t travel anywhere else anymore without making comparisons to my current home in Brazil.

Amid some unfortunate circumstances, last week we had the opportunity to visit Kentucky, our home for four years before moving to Brazil. For some reason, I just couldn’t get over all the pinks, purples and whites of the blooming trees. Not to mention the vibrant red and yellow tulips. While fall is my very favorite season I was really surprised how appealing spring was to me this year.



The thing is if I were still living in Lexington I probably wouldn’t have noticed the spring at all. Sure, I might have commented on flowers or trees blooming here and there, but it wouldn’t have had the impact that it did this time around.


I am so used to sweltering heat, palm trees and other subtropical plants that I really noticed the differences during my visit. It was just beautiful.

Nothing seems to change here in Maringá. Yes, flowers bloom at different times and there are cooler days here and there, but most of the time everything looks the same. Everything is always green. I do like this, but sometimes you can appreciate the green more when you get to watch it grow and bloom from what was once brown from winter. That is why I'm really missing the seasons and variety in the weather.

I doubt I will ever take a Kentucky spring for granted again.


No comments: