While the place is older and less modern than my other favorite cafes, it has its own character. It is a bit cramped, but strangely has a Waffle House-type feel. There is a counter with bar service in the front with cooks behind it at the grill.
I’m a big fan of egg sandwiches so this is what I ordered, along with an espresso com leite. This is basically a latte everywhere else in the world, but I had to do some experimenting until I finally found it. Now it is my favorite coffee drink here, and although smaller, at R$1.90 ($1.12 USD) it is much better for the budget than Starbucks back home. However, I’d probably give $5.00 USD if they’d put it in a to-go cup.
I had to ward off the typical stares from the waitresses who were not so friendly, I might add. The one serving me did pretend like she didn’t notice my inability to order correctly, but I saw her say something to her companion as she went back to put my order in. The cashier was very nice, however.
That is one reason why I’ve come to love Marcos. They know me now and wait patiently as I stumble through my order. They are all smiles and welcome my frequent visits. It is good to get out of the comfort zone though (as if this isn’t an everyday occurrence) and try someplace new.
Overall, you can’t beat the bargain I got. I’m still amazed how some things can cost practically nothing here (produce, beer), but others are so outrageous (housewares, electronics).
I settled my tab at R$3.60 ($2.12 USD), an incredible deal for a latte and breakfast sandwich. Maybe that is why McDonald’s doesn’t serve breakfast here, because it couldn’t compete with the prices. I’m still wondering how they even paid for the ingredients and the waitress for what I was charged. I know labor and food are cheap, but come on!
By the way, the pictures are bit blurry because it was a rainy day. However, if you look closely you will see that a Christmas decoration of Santa and his sleigh still hangs in the air between the trees surrounding the restaurant. Looks like we, in the US, aren’t the only ones who keep them up year round!


1 comment:
One thing in your blogs i think is great is how you relate something there to something back in the States..helps me form a picture..like Debbie snack cakes, candy apples, and Waffle House, lol.
Post a Comment