However, it is summer back home and it is about time I talk about one of my favorite things in Brazil.
I have always loved flip-flops. All those colors and styles, and most importantly, the price. What other footwear is there that you can afford to by in 10 different colors.
I’ll admit I was slow to learn about the flip-flops fashion craze that are Havaianas. Luckily, I saw an old episode of Oprah while we were living in the hotel and I realized she actually gave these away as one of her favorite things.
This is all it took for me to try them out. I’m not saying I’m heavily influenced by Oprah, but I figured there had to be something great about them. No surprise, I love them! They are incredibly comfortable and the history of how they came to be is pretty interesting.
Havaianas were not exported until about 2001, however they were around in Brazil in 1962. They are inspired by the Japanese Zori flip-flops and have ties to coffee in that their history involves the shoes coffee collectors wore in the fields.
I’m trying very hard to control myself. Right now, I only have three pair. My plan is to buy several before we move back to the States and fill up a box with them so there will not be any shortage when I leave Havaianas heaven.
So far there are only a few friends and family members who have not received a pair as a gift for one occasion or another. We have even purchased the baby version for those friends of ours who are expecting. Which just happens to be a lot lately.
In the States, Havaianas are held in high regard when it comes to where they are available. You are likely to only find a designated rack in upscale department stores.
When seeing them, these are the times that I get to be very happy that I have easy access to these simple, but exciting shoes. You can find them just about anywhere in Maringá. They are especially prevalent in grocery stores. Not to mention that in Brazil they are about half the price compared to what they are in the US even with the crappy exchange rate.
I haven’t even talked about the different styles. I have access to all kinds of unique designs and colors that you can’t find in the US. These are the ones I’m especially into right now.
If you make your way to Brazil, get yourself a cute pair of Havaianas as a souvenir. If you are a friend of mine or part of my family and haven’t gotten a pair yet, well, you know what you are getting this Christmas!


7 comments:
i also love havaianas as in super =)
Hi joanna,
Thanks for your comment. They are quickly becoming my favorite shoes! :)
Lori,
When you come back to the states, you need to find your local Brazilian Ethnic store and you will be able to buy Havaianas very cheap, not anywhere near the departament store prices...
If you tell me where in the states you are from I can tell you the closest Brazilian store to your town...
Kind regards
Ray Adkins
Right now I'm from Lexington, KY. I've seen Caribbean and Asian stores there, but I highly doubt there is a Brazilian one. I could be surprised though. Perhaps in Cincinnati or Louisville. I plan to bring several pairs back with me though so I won't have a problem. :)
Lori,
I know there is a store called Jungle Jim International Market, it is in Fairfield, OH, just north of Cincinatti, still in the Cincinatti metro area, they have stuff from several countries and are known to bring things people ask them and have reasonable prices.
I will keep my eyes open and let you know if I find anything closer...
Take care
Ray
Cool. I'll have to look it up when I'm back in the area. Thanks!
It's nice to collect the Limited Edition than the simple ones. =)
Post a Comment