Keeping with the theme of annoying questions, there is one that tops “how’s Brazil?”
“What do you do all day?”
Over a year ago (wow!) the announcement was made that I would be leaving my job when we moved here and would not be working once we arrived. I didn’t mind leaving my job at all. It wasn’t a horrible job, but it definitely was not a correct fit for me.
When people started to hear of this news it seemed that no one could imagine how in the world I would fill my days. I’ll admit I questioned it too. I had this whole new opportunity, a blessing, before me. I could choose what I wanted to do for this short time away.
I often felt bad for complaining or being homesick because I didn’t have to work. However, now I definitely will not apologize for that because no one can know what this experience is like until it is felt first hand.
I didn’t have to work, how could life be bad? Work or no work, simply adjusting to a new culture is challenging and at times more draining and stressful than an 8 hour day at the office.
Just so you know, I had no problem filling my days and still don’t. After 2 months of living in a hotel, supervising work on our apartment, shopping for home necessities, awaiting deliveries, unpacking, AC installation, internet set-up, Portuguese classes, cooking, cleaning and so on, the first 6 months were not boring. They are pretty much a blur, really.
After all that, with the help of supportive nudges from my husband, I finally began establishing some goals. I knew that I wanted to do freelance writing and blogging and I knew it was going to take some hard work on my part. I’ve had a huge learning curve for this new career of mine and I’m still on it.
Now my days are filled with reading, studying and networking. I’m writing for my own blogs, the assignments I do have and applying for more. Not much money is there yet, but I’m confident it will come.
In addition, I’m doing my best to take advantage of this new culture I’m living in. I try to review my Portuguese and get out during the day to listen and be exposed to it and other people.
So I’ve said it. This is what I do all day. I view it as a great blessing to be able to take a step back and concentrate on this goal of mine, but the visions of me curled up in my jammies with a magazine all day can be erased. Well, okay, maybe not the jammies. Um…maybe just replace the magazine with a laptop and you’ll be spot on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Uggghhhh! This is my least favorite of all the questions! People seem to have a hard time imagining that a woman with no job and no kids could possibly keep herself busy in a foreign country. Like you've just pointed out, nothing could be further from the truth! From the beginning, I've said that my number one priority while in Brasil would be to support my husband and try to take care of as many of the mundane details of daily life as possible. That way, once he's off work we can explore and play in our new environment!
Sounds like you stay busy like me. I honestly don't know how we would have ever moved into our apartment or gotten settled if I had been working like my husband. Nothing would have ever gotten done!
I can relate! My least favorite question is: "So are you bored yet?" I have taken to replying... "Bored is for the boring..." which I really believe to be true anywhere but especially here because in Brazil there is never a dull moment.
You are right that nothing would have gotten done if you had been working, you would be living in an aparthotel or a place without furniture!
And if you are interested here is my take on the same topic...
http://dailyriolife.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/03/what-do-you-do.html
Hi daily,
Thanks for commenting. I loved your take on the topic. Thanks for sharing your blog. I will have to start reading it. I also noticed some other expat Brazil blogs I hadn't seen before.
Post a Comment