Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Before, After and a Year Later

After my question last week I got a better idea of what some of you like reading in my blog. I also got suggestions to write a little bit about how my perceptions have changed from before I moved here to a year later. (I’ll warn you now, this is long and jumps around a lot.)

So I’ve had this on my mind the past few days. Lately, I’ve grown tired of reading arguments and accusations among ex-pat bloggers and nationals in Brazil (and other countries). It has made me take a step back and realize that this experience is such a small one in my life. And while I am so glad to have readers, input and comments it is impossible for anyone to really know me or for me to know any of you.

I’m also learning that being a US ex-pat in Brazil doesn’t define me. This experience is about getting out of my comfort zone and living a new life. I could have done that anywhere. It actually has very little to do with Brazil for me.

My love of travel and interest in other cultures started long before the decision to move abroad. While the chance to be an ex-pat grew more appealing as my husband began working for an international company, Brazil was no where on the radar. There was talk about China and Ireland and other places. When Brazil was presented, my answer was plain and simply – no.

South America had never been of any interest to me as far as exploration goes. I love Europe and the Caribbean – still do. Through prayer, thoughtful reflection and many hours of talking with my husband we finally decided that moving to Brazil might be the right thing to do. I viewed it as a learning opportunity that was a once in a lifetime offer.

So I really had no preconceptions about Brazil. It seems many Brazilians like to think that (US)Americans view their country as being all jungles, monkeys and beaches. I can’t say that any of these thoughts came to mind, except maybe beautiful beaches.

I will say one thing that concerned me was the focus being on such a sexual culture. I am conservative when it comes to dressing and shaking-your-stuff, for lack of a better term. The media portrays this as a big thing in Brazil through reports of Carnival and similar topics.

I’m not saying it is true or false, better or worse than any other culture, it just is. It was something that came to mind when deciding to move and I really don’t have an opinion to share on it at this point. I bring it up because it was probably the closest thing I had to a preconception.

Before moving here, I was very excited. I quit a job I didn’t like so much. I was going to get to pursue anything that interested me regarding my career and work from home. I was going to get to learn a new language, meet new people and learn about new foods. We sold almost all we owned and it gave me such a great feeling to let material things go and take another step in life.

Once I was here a few months, my feelings were ones of disappointment. Why? Well, because it wasn’t nearly as fulfilling I had expected. I like to talk to people and the language barrier was depressing. I wanted (and still want) to be fluent in the language so I could get to know people.

I had wanted this whole experience to be a new step in health for me. No more restaurants with huge portions or shelves stocked with fake foods. Let me say the produce and feiras have been wonderful, but I was so sad to walk into a grocery store and see all the emphasis on diet foods and artificial ingredients, not to mention all the unhealthy selections at restaurants.

I’m not saying it is wrong or bad, but compared to what I had anticipated, it was disappointing.

After a year, I can say there have been more downs than ups. That being said, there have been plenty of ups and I have grown to appreciate what I have been exposed to here. I have changed greatly as a person and grown more than I could have imagined. I am more patient, less materialistic and more accepting.

At the same time I feel I am more reserved and less outgoing. I am homesick a lot and I often grow disappointed with myself regarding the struggles I have here. I feel I’ve changed in both positive and negative ways.

My biggest challenge has been my loss of independence. I don’t drive, can’t go out at night alone and I’m dependant on my husband and others to do a lot of things for me. I have found this completely maddening at times.

Just so this doesn’t sound all gloom and doom, let me state a few things that have been overwhelming positives that I hadn’t expected either – new friends (real and virtual), an introduction to the world of ex-pat blogging and very accepting strangers.

Along with all of this I think one thing just in the past few months that has been reiterated to me is the similarities between people and where I come from and Brazil/Brazilians.

This is one thing that has always driven my love for travel. I came from a family that didn’t travel much and when I was first exposed to it I loved that overwhelming feeling that there are people all over the world with the same struggles, situations and day-to-day activities as I was living. I just loved learning more about it.

Lately I’ve realized that overall the people of this world are more similar than different. These are few things regarding Brazil that I’ve come to recognize.

Physical beauty is everywhere in this world. There seems to be this huge focus on the pride (real or imagined) that Brazilians have in the beauty (read physical attractiveness) of their women. The women are no more attractive here than they are in the US, Germany, Austria and on and on.

We are all impatient and live a fast paced lifestyle. I always read accounts of how outsiders are attracted to the laidback lifestyle in Brazil. This may be true if you are on a secluded beach somewhere, but not so where I am. People whine, complain and get frustrated standing in long lines here just like in the US. They rush from place to place, eat and drink in 30 seconds and are on to the next task. They may walk more slowly on the street, but this doesn’t equate to being laidback.

Lots of working does not equal productivity. In the US I struggled with coworkers who complained about how many hours they worked, they loved to focus on it and tell everyone about it yet they didn’t produce crap. So far I’ve experienced this same phenomenon here.

We all like to complain. I’m beginning to feel that complaining is a trait of human beings in general. People here complain about everything from it being too hot or cold, food being too this or that and everything else, just like…most people in the US.

So what I am getting at is that this experience that I thought would be so enlightening and different hasn’t turned out to be that way. I’m not trying to be overly negative, just honest. Overall, I am happy with where I am in this life and I have a positive attitude now and for the future.

I’ve enjoyed learning about a new culture and being forced to adopt new practices because of it. So far any negative experiences I have had with this whole situation have been worth it for what I have gained.

I return to my point that my ex-pat experience isn’t about Brazil. It is about the experience itself. I’ve also learned that the result so far has turned out to be nothing like what I expected it to be.

I have mentioned before that this opportunity came at a time when I was ready to go. I was fed up with many things in the US, specifically those related to the health field.

What this experience has done for me is teach me lessons in gratitude and appreciation. I have never felt such gratitude for what I have access to in the US from stuff (although less important to me), to travel, to freedoms as I do after a year living abroad. That is what this experience has taught me and continues to teach me everyday.

Am I glad I took on this life changing challenge – absolutely. Is Maringá and what I’ve seen of the rest of Brazil my favorite place in the world – absolutely not, but neither are parts of the US.

There is sure to be more to come as I think on these topics, but this is all I have to reflect on for now. I’m going to take a break from the mushy stuff for a bit. Maybe tomorrow I’ll get back to food!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being so honest! It really is a big fear of mine to lose my independence. And I know that I will lose a lot of it because of the nature of the situation...but I guess for me I have to pick what it is that I want. I can be with my husband and give up some independence or be without my husband and still have it.

But I really admire your honesty and I really respect you for it. Thank you! This is why I wanted to read ex pats blog, to get a true picture!

Audrey said...

Lori, great post - I appreciate the honesty and agree with the concept that the location - Brazil in your case - does not what makes the experience, but its everything you learn along the way.

My background is a bit different than yours, but we both share the same passion for travel, learning and appreciating the universal similarities in people. I grew up as a diplomat's kid, so I spent most of my childhood abroad. My mother was a "trailing spouse" (I hate that phrase) and eventually joined the foreign service to become professionally active herself. Because of her experience, I tend to be very sensitive about losing my independence when going abroad, which is something I may have to get over one day and look at it like you are: to make the most of the situation and grow personally and professionally on your own terms.

Thanks again for sharing. I look forward to hearing more...as well as food posts too!

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

What a fantastic post!
I have been relocated 12 times in the last 10 years and that was really tough.
We did learn that there are places you like right from the start, others that grow on you and others that you hate the day you step foot on and keeps hating for ever. I could even mention some examples; we have lived in two Florida regions, Miami and Tampa, and we hated both from the day we step foot on, conclusion, we can't stand Florida, too hot, too many bugs, high crime always kept us paranoid, most people live in gated communities and houses with alarm systems.
Dallas was neutral at first, but it grew on us and we do love Texas, would move back in a New York minute.
We hated Boston at first but it slowly grew on us and today I would love to move back to Massachusetts, love Boston and the surrounding area.
Rhode Island was love at first site, we still love it today and are still enjoying living here.
Sao Paulo was love at first site as well, we fell in love with the city, but we love big cities in general, New York is our life passion, but just to visit, unless we win the lottery some day.
Loved your posting, honest, inspiring and very well articulated.


Ray

Emily said...

As someone who moved to a specific country for a specific reason, I found this very interesting. Even before this stint in Chile, when I first decided to study abroad here, I knew that I wanted to go to Latin America - so pretty much the opposite of your experience!

I didn't know you'd classify your year as more downs than ups, so you do a really good job of staying positive and not complaining on here! Not that you can't/don't mention the negatives, but I definitely wouldn't say that you dwell on it. It seems like you really are taking as much as you can out of this time abroad, even if it's not always exactly what you'd hoped for.

This post was really honest and brave, in light of the fact that there are some people out there who'll take anything less than "I LOVE my new country!" as an excuse to attack. I hope this year is filled with more ups than downs :)

Poofbegone said...

I love this post!

Such an honest depiction of your experience.

It's so easy to exoticize a foreign land when you aren't there yet and then once you're there, you realize it's practically the same as anywhere else!

I find myself pining for Japan but I also have to remind myself that there is a lot of stuff that irks me about living there too. I just get caught up in comparing here to home.

And let's hope the overly-defensive commentators just stay away :)

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Stephanie - I'd expect your situation to be a lot different with moving here for someone you love. The independence thing can be rough, but it does offer opportunities to grow. I know I appreciate others more because of it and the help they give me.

audrey - Thanks for sharing your experiences. They really are universal similarities, aren't they? Good way to put it. It's interesting to hear how your past has shaped your views regarding independence.

ray - Thanks. Wow, that is a lot of moving. You've definitely experienced a lot of places. I liked reading your views of different areas. My brothers live in Florida and don't like it either. My Dad hates visiting them there. Ha, ha!

emily - That's actually really good to hear. Sometimes I think I come across as Debbie Downer. Ha, ha!

So interesting that you bring up the "I love my new country" mentality. I think that was the hardest part to get over. For months I beat myself up over the fact that I didn't love it here. I felt like I should because that is how all ex-pats feel, right? Once I let that go I was able to enjoy the experience itself. That leading me to all the positives for example traveling Europe for 3 weeks this summer. That never could have happened if I still had my desk job in the States.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

kumichan - Thanks! Your comment reminded me how sometimes places grow on you after you leave them.

I wasn't too happy with KY in the States when I was there, but being away for a while made me miss it a bit and more willing to accept the bad with the good. Who knows,I may feel the same about here someday.

Totally agreed. I'm hoping. ;)

Rogério Penna said...

Very good post.

I think its quite interesting that when you travel for tourism, you may like or not like a country based on such small things that truly dont really say anything about how is to LIVE there.

But when you MOVE to another country, and it becomes your daily life, perceptions change. The very different stop shocking or amazing you... and you will end up loving, being indifferent or hating a place based on things that actually do not change so much from one place to another.

I am sure many of the feelings of Lori regarding her brazilian experience are shared by many people of any nationality regarding going to live in another city inside their OWN country.

Even some places that people consider "magic", like NY City... I have friends who worked there (legally) and talk about NY in such a casual way, as if it was any other city.

Nani said...

I absolutely Love your post. I like the fact you are being honest about your views. I am from Brazil, as you know, and moved to the USA a few years ago... to me, the experience was the opposite. I love living here, it was the best decision I had ever made. But like you said, it's not "Brazil" the point. It's the whole experience, It all depends on how one's life was and how it is now. I love my country, but unfortunately there are a couple of things that I don't like about living there...and even though I love my life in the US I have to be honest and say there are things here that are not as good as in Brazil... I think it's all about perpective.
There are some american ex-pats that live well overthere, that take the bus or drive, learned the language pretty well... but again, it depends on where you live in Brazil... it's such a big country, there as many bad and good places there as there are here in America...
ok, I wrote too much and didn't get anywhere with it.
haha
All I want to say is that I am happy that you are learning things with your experience there, and that I appreciate you being honest in a respectful way. Not everybody knows how to do that.

Nani said...

oh, and yes... Brazilian women think they are the most beautiful women in the world. I agree with you that there are beautiful woman here in America to, as well as in other countries.

Before I forget, Lori, thank you for "stopping by" and for the Bday wishes.
I hope you get to have some "awesome" experiencie down there. How long are you guys going to stay in Brazil?

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

aces - Yes, visiting a place is much different than living there. I think there is a difference between a tourist and a traveler. I consider myself a traveler (who does touristy things occasionaly). Traveling allows you to get a closer look at a place, I think.

Oh man, NYC wouldn't be magic on my list. An interesting melting pot, but not magic. Now the Northwest coast, that's magic to me. :)

The best place about this world is that there are so many places to visit all of us are bound to find our favorite eventually.

Nani - Thanks. I'm glad I was able to relay it in a way that was respectful. I appreciate hearing that from you as a Brazilian. I enjoyed reading your experience. I think there is good and bad to places and situations, and most of us will always be drawn in some way to our home.

I hope you had a great Birthday! I passed the year mark in Aug (my husband in June). Our visas are good until October 09 so I expect I'll be headed back to the States to start getting things settled in September of next year.

Ju Lima said...

Hi Lori. Just a quick note on this post, I'll write ou more later. I know haw hard it can be being homesick and all. But one thing I've come to realize is that the whole meaning of the "living abroad experience" comes slowly, as years go by. You just begin to realize how great it was and how lucky you were for doing that. And also, you actually start regreting you dind't enjoy it as much as you could. My point is: enjoy it! Your country will still be there when you get back! ;) talk to you later!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Ju - Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it from someone who has been in a similar situation.

Fernanda said...

Hi Lori
I liked to read your text, and it is funny that I've posted about being homesick in my blog few minutes ago...in my case of Brazil. I'm married to an American Guy, and althought I am more adapted to the US now, it was very hard in the beggining when I was totaly dependent on him. Well, I work, study and drive now, and I don't have problems with communication, but it is still hard for me. I have been thinking lately how much I want to go back to Brazil, and still don't know how my husband would adapt there. We are talking about it, and we will see what we are going to do, but I understand that it is not an easy experience for some (not me anyway). Well, at least you have a specific time to go back home, but I really don't know about my future for now. I love to travel! Absolutely love it...but I would like to get back home after travelings! Hope your next year will be better, time goes by so fast!

corinne said...

Lori,

Thanks for the interesting and honest post. Reading yours and other ex-pat blogs reminds me of a Master´s thesis that I read years ago comparing members of the Anglo-American community in Rio. The author was comparing ex-pats (those in Brazil because of the job) and gringos (those who have a job so they can stay in Brazil). The ex-pat experience is really not about Brazil, but living abroad (I recently read a good book- Ex-pat Tales that reinforces this), whereas for those of us that chose Brazil (and then figured out how to financially survive here), it really is about Brazil. I totally here you about not "loving" Brazil, I chose to live here and feel pressure to always say I love it, when often times I want to strangle it!

When I moved into the favela, the loss of independence really hit me - I could not even do grocery shopping without someone to help me carry it all home! That was the hardest thing for me. Now I feel really independent, but there will always be parts of this country I do not know how to navigate. I am always being reminded of the subtle differences (even on how to discipline students or interact with colleagues) that I thought I had figured out. But I think the confidence that comes from knowing you can overcome these things stays with you and lets you handle all of life's troubles (small and big - in Brazil or elsewhere) much better.

Zandria said...

An excellent and honest post. I enjoyed reading about the good and bad things about your expat experience. :)

http://zandria.us