I didn’t get a chance to talk about this great place before I left Maringa, but I ended up with some good pictures so I wanted to go back and share a bit about it.Well, you know my so-so attitude regarding red meat. A churrascaria is fun from time to time, but I usually end up taking advantage of all the great salads and pass on everything except the bacon wrapped chicken and those incredible grilled cheese balls.
Several months ago we were so excited to see a new restaurant going up. The atmosphere was unlike any other in town. See, while Maringa has some decent restaurants it is seriously lacking on the atmosphere end.
Many places have outdoor dining that consists of plastic tables and chairs with beer logos on the back. Other places that would have a really nice ambience tend to ruin it with bright fluorescent lighting.
This new place looked really cool from the outside and we couldn’t wait to see the menu hoping it would be something a little different.
We couldn’t hide our disappointment when Mr. Bacchir opened and we found out they specialize in…picanha. I know, all you meat lovers think it is heaven but for me a meat, is a meat, is a meat.
Fortunately, the atmosphere kept us coming back. It is now the place to take coworkers who come into town and we’ve had the chance to explore the menu. As opposed to bringing different meats around, you order one selection and then it comes with a bunch of side dishes which are really more like condiments. The waiters still come out with those huge skewers and dangerously sharp knives, but they bring it right to your table and slice the whole thing off.
With it you get vinegrette, steamed mandioca, farofa and the best part for us – these tiny little hot peppers with the oil they’ve been marinating in. (Spicy food is so rare in Maringa.) If you order the lamb they serve two amazing mint sauces with it - one made with fresh mint and the other a mint jelly.


Their picanha with alho (garlic) is my favorite in town despite my limited love for carne. I usually stick with their salad that has arugula, sun dried tomatoes and gorgonzola. Good salads are hard to come by when eating out and this one is great.
The outdoor seating area is like an intimate café-meets-beer-garden. We love it. There is even a little pool in the center with a fountain. I could sit out there all night. This place definitely spiced up the dining scene in the city.


And check out a drink they have on the menu. Maybe this is why we like the place so much.


13 comments:
Lori,
Kentucky? Limes, Pineapples? I hope they use "bourbon" instead of "whisky"!Ha Ha Ha!
It really looks like a cool restaurant.
Ray
That sounds like fun!! Im glad you all have found a restaurant that you like!! I think that is definetly one of the things I miss about spending time with Sidnei is going and trying out new places!
Sidnei said in Brazil they dont have Mexican restaurants...which makes me sad. I LOVE Mexican food. But of coures I love all the little Brazilian cafes we've been to here as well! But still...and im with you on the meat thing. I like meat, but a meat, is a meat, is a meat.
yum! mandioca is yuca right? I love that stuff. I eat it almost every week here.
I am not that into meat but I have to say some good churrasco changes that for me. There is wonderful churrascaria in Tokyo called Barbacoa where famous Brazilians in Japan go. The salad bars are delish, aren't they?
Ray - Ha, ha! I was going to bring up the bourbon thing, but figured - Nah, at least they are trying. :) Not sure about the fruits either. I just chalked it up to being a "Brazilian-Kentucky." Ha, ha!
Stephanie - I can't speak for everywhere, of course, but the Mexican is horrible in Maringa. There is a place in town that all our Brazilian friends are in love with. Each time we say we want Mexican they say "What about Taqueria?" and we say "That's not Mexican." Ha, ha!
We gave it about 3 tries and gave up. It is nothing like American-Mexican, the so-called Authentic Mexican or even what my husband actually had in Mexico. I overdose on Mexican food when I'm home. :)
kumichan - Yep, same thing, I'm pretty sure. I love it fried, although I know this isn't a good thing. :)
Love the salad bars for sure. I will say that the meat is prepared very well. I do enjoy it from time to time especially with lots of garlic. :)
At first glance I could have sworn it said "ass" under Kentucky. But I suppose it's really 055. :)
I am really into the salad bar, but my husband go nuts for the picanha.
Ahhh...I was reading the comments, about the Mexican food, and that was what I wondering...if the Mexican in BR would taste similar to the Mexican here in the US...I had Mexican for the first time here, and I love it, but I imagined that it may would be different in Brazil. I guess I'll try, but I am not expecting the same thing. It is funny because I miss many Brazilian foods, but if we move back to Brazil, I am sure I'll miss many foods that I have here :)
Sounds like a great restaurant. I hear you about the ambiance - it is rare around our neck of the woods. You need to go to the south part of town for that (although lately the most prized "ambiance" for us is a playground :) )
There is NO good Mexican in Brazil. I have been to restaurants in Rio, BH and Curitiba and it is so-so at best. (No idea if SP is any better). I once had "nachos" that was no more than bolonese spaghetti sauce on Doritos. I grew up in the southwest and I just make my own at home when I need a fix. That is why chili powder is ALWAYS on my list of things to get from the States.
since Lori likes to cook, maybe she could open a real mex-american (tex-mex) restaurant in Brazil, with more authentic food.
that would mean $$$$$$$
Hi Lori, I am sorry about your grandma. This is one of my biggest fears of living far away from home...
I am happy to hear you are spending time with your family though. And excited to hear about the reverse cultural shock... I had that when I went back to Brazil after I had been here for 4 years!! Can you believe that???? 4 years, but not because I didn't want to, but because my extention of visa didn't allow me to leave and re-entry the USA... I would have to go to the Consulate and try the entry Visa again, so what I had was only an "authorization to Remain in the country". Then I got married and we didn't have money to deal with Residency, so I could not go to Brazil all that time. But then when I finally could, I went there 2 times in the same year haha. So... back to the point... I am so lost, haha.
It does feel weird to be back...It's funny because now I feel like I don't belong to neither places. I don't feel like I belong in Brazil anymore (because i've been here for a long time now), and I still feel like I don't belong here because it's not where I grew up. It's a mix of feelings. When I am here I miss things in Brazil, when I am there I miss here...
so, the thing is to try to enjoy any feeling that you have, any moment that you are here, and there. This is the advantage of living abroad: experience many kinds of feelings and situations.
Jul - Too funny! I didn't notice that. You are right. Ha, ha! Maybe I shouldn't be too proud of the picture. :)
Fernanda - I know what you mean. In Brazil, I'm missing foods from home and in the US I keep thinking of things I want from Brazil. My husband had rodizio pizza last night and it sounded so good!
Corinne - We've totally had the Dorito version too! It was at a Mustang Sally's in Curitiba. It was probably the best version we've had, but still pretty far off. :)
aces - Oh, no. I could never make Mexican that good. :)
Nani - Thank you. It is definitely the difficult part of the abroad experience.
I can't imagine what you went through with your visa and not being able to go home. It must have been so difficult.
Oh man, I know what you mean about not belonging anywhere. I have that same feeling. It is so strange I feel homeless in a weird way, like I don't fit in in either place. You make an excellent point. Enjoy every moment!
Hi Lori,
thanks for the advice, I was looking for a nice place to celebrate an anniversary.
About the other comments...
Yes, Taqueria is not mexican. Just like most of the Brazilians in the US are NOT brazilian!
(and who cares about the bourbon!? lol)
Hi Thiago - Thanks for your comment. I think it would be a great place for a celebration dinner. Have fun!
I have learned to like scotch since being in Brazil. Ha, ha!
Lori, really, I dont think you need to make mexican food "that" good to have any success in Brazil.
I have the impression that Taco-Bell is more genuine mexican food than what we find in mexican restaurants around here...
Post a Comment