First, I want to thank everyone for your kind words. I really appreciate it. I was fortunate to be able to head back to the US and spend this time with my family.
Early last week I headed out in Maringa to do a little shopping. I had my previous post on my mind and I had started to formulate one I planned to entitle, “It Happens Every Time.”
Now that I am working more with my writing, I don’t get out a lot during the day other than to workout or stop by the supermarket. That day was the first I had been out window shopping in a while.
I stopped by the mall and grabbed a salad to eat in the food court that overlooks the Parque do Inga. It Happens Every Time was referring to my feelings before I leave Maringa to come back to the States. I’ve done it a few times now having been home last Christmas and over the summer.
I get these feelings that I am so excited to head home, but I start to get a bit bummed about leaving Brazil as well. I had this feeling on Monday and had decided I was going to concentrate on spending some more time out and about until I left in December.
That obviously didn’t work out and now that I am in the States I am missing a few things. I had scheduled my ticket later this year so I could see more of the Christmas decorations around town. My brother-in-law and his wife are headed down for a visit and I have to miss that as well. I was really looking forward to showing them around and we were planning to head to Curitiba and Ilha do Mel again. Fortunately they will get to keep their trip plans intact because my husband will be there.
Despite what I’m missing I think it goes without saying that I am enjoying being home. It was a blessing to have my whole family together. There were snow flurries today too! I loved it since I missed seeing snow last year. The deer are out and about around my parent’s home too. Beautiful!
I’m enjoying my freedom and went shopping this morning for some early Christmas gifts. I was able to join a gym while I’m home and that has been awesome. I’m back to elliptical trainers and weights in pounds.
At the same time I am having a serious case of reverse culture shock. I haven’t quite settled in yet and still feel a bit out of it. Maybe it is all the mega stuff at the grocery stores. It is like sensory overload sometimes. That has to be one of the most overwhelming things about coming back, from family-sized packages to shopping carts the size of my car.
Despite the economy I do have to say that USAmericans should be dancing in the streets over the gas prices. It is only $1.60 a gallon where I am at. Pretty unbelievable considering the past couple years.
So the return trip was both good and bad as are most things in life. The next few posts I’ll catch up on some thoughts I had before leaving, then we’ll see what crazy stuff I encounter State-side that sparks a good post topic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I am SOOO happy that gas has gone down! I have an hour commute to work every day!!
Post a Comment