Monday, November 10, 2008

Why Don’t We Have These at Home?

This weekend I was reminded of two really cool technologies that we see all over Maringá. They always leave me wondering, “Why don’t we have these at home?”

The first is the mobile credit card machine. Every time we pay for a meal when eating out we wonder why this hasn’t hit our area of the US. At the restaurants here, the waiter brings the cordless credit card machine to the table. He swipes the card right in front of you and you can even watch him put in the tip (or service fee as it is called here).

I know so many people that are leery of waiters and waitresses taking their card to the machine in restaurants at home for fear someone will gain access to their number. This eliminates that worry, however, you do have to think about the security of the wireless stream that is transmitting the info, I guess.

Several years ago I was victim to one of the tipping scams that were popular for a while. I had gone out to eat with a friend and I just ordered an appetizer for $6. I gave the guy a $1 tip (sorry, I was a broke college student). When I got my credit card receipts, I realized he had taken the liberty of putting a one in front of my one, giving himself an $11 tip when he ran it through the computer.

I love these little cordless machines and I hope they will or are already catching on in the States.

The other little technology I love is one that I expect would meet some resistance in the US. The finger print technology is used a lot around here. It makes things so easy.

We don’t have to carry any kind of swipe card for the gym or sign in. You just push the button, put your finger on the pad and it says, “Boa Aula, Lori!” Then I am able to proceed to the turnstile. (That translates to “Good Lesson,” which for us would be more like “Have a good workout.”)

The same technology exists at the video store. Place your finger on the pad and check out your video. No membership cards or showing your driver’s license.

Due to privacy issues, I really can’t see this taking off in the States. Many experts say we will get around to using these types of identifiers, but I’m sure most will find it tooth and nail.

I have to say we are really enjoying the convenience while we are here. Considering how many ID cards we have to carry from the Brazilian government, one less membership card is a plus in my book and I feel much more secure with credit cards around here having it in my sites the whole time.

8 comments:

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

I have also seen "eye" scanners in Sao Paulo Banks in their corporate offices, they record the "Iris" from your eye and than every time you come to visit that office you are registered.
I haven't seen that around here either.
I also really like the restaurant wireless credit card chargers, I don't know why those haven't' picked up here yet.
Maybe local Brazilian companies developed them...

Ray

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Wow, the iris scanners sound like something out of a government or sci-fi movie. Ha, ha!

Anonymous said...

I have not seen them in the states, but that sounds awesome!! You would think with all the "wireless" out there that they would have these also!! Maybe they are afraid the machines will walk off? But I hate the tip scamming too. I too have fallen victim!

I love the finger print scan! I HATE having to have the big wallet, because all my member cards will not fit in the small one!!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

stephanie - I am anti-big wallet too. I want everything as small as possible when it comes to accessories. :) It is nice not to have to keep track of the cards.

Rogério Penna said...

if anyone is interested in soccer here, I can talk about a great brazilian invention that is used a lot in our league, with 100% success, but for some reason, doesnt catches on in the rest of the world, not even in europe.


ps: Lori, have you, for curiosity, checked out the brazilian electronic voting system in these elections?

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Would love to hear about the futebol technology. Does it have to do with the scoreboard? The one here in Maringa is still manual. Ha, ha!

Nope, didn't see the voting machines. We about fell over when we saw that places in the US were still using paper this year. Geez!

tchágo said...

Hey, Lori!

Get a driver's license, this way you'll have all your numbers in just one piece of paper. ;)


(and stop making fun of our manual scoreboard at Willy Davids! lol)

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Thiago - Oh man, I loved it when I got my RNE card and got to stop carrying all those papers when I flew in and out of Brazil.

The problem isn't the license, but my inability to drive a stick. I know - totally loser, but I can only handle so much change and learning in my life at one time. Ha, ha!

Ha, ha! Not making fun. The stadium is awesome. I am always looking for an instant replay screen after a goal though. :)