Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A Bit of Christmas

Unfortunately, I haven’t gotten to experience a full blown Christmas in Brazil. As I mentioned before I was planning to stay a little longer this year to see the decorations around town including the cathedral, but missed them when I had to head home early. I do get to see lots of pictures that my husband takes for me.

One thing I’ve learned is when it comes to celebrating and decorating, Brazilians (yes I’m making a naughty generalization here) tend to go all out. Christmas is no exception. The city is decorated to the max.

I compare this to the mall in my home town. I’ve been a couple times now and while each store has lots of Christmas decorations they really don’t make the actual mall feel like Christmas. It is nothing like in Curitiba. My husband took these last week. So festive!




You know I really enjoy the Batel area of Curitiba and there is a historic building there, the Batel Castle. It really stands out among the other buildings. My husband took this shot with his camera phone. It definitely doesn’t do it justice according to him. Every inch of the building is covered in rope lights!


I don’t have pictures of Maringa yet, but the lights are now up. Last year at this time, my blog wasn’t as well established and being back in the States I neglected to post any pictures of the city. Last year the cathedral was draped with rope lights and a sand sculpture of the nativity scene was outside the church. Here are some photos for you and I’ll be back with this year’s round as soon as I get them.







These totally put me in the Christmas spirit. Once Thanksgiving is over, I am ready for trees, gingerbread men and eggnog. I’ve really learned to appreciate all the great traditions we enjoy in the States.

3 comments:

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

You mentioned Eggnog, I had to tell you about "Trader Joe's" organic Eggnog. I don't know if it's because it's organic or if it is just their Eggnog recipe, but their Eggnog is really good and worth a try...
I hope you are enjoying the holiday season back with your family. It looks like a cold front is coming this weekend to our side of the country, it will affect the weather in most of the Northeast and certainly Tennessee as well.

corinne said...

Oh I miss eggnog. Yes, I know I can make it, but it is just not the same...

Curitiba is one of the cities that really does Christmas. The annual presentation of their children´s choir is aired on Globo every year. I visited once in May and I could still buy Christmasy crafts.

I too am getting in the holiday mood. Just finished 3 days of cookie baking with Emily and am having a party with students.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Ray - That eggnog sounds great. I am a big fan of eggnog flavored things. To drink I like a lower fat version, not really for health, but for the thickness. I like the taste, but not how thick it is.
I am enjoying my time in the US. I can't wait for snow, but I do hope it doesn't mess up some travel plans I have around the holidays.

corinne - Your cookie baking sounds like so much fun. I've never tried to make eggnog, but I'm like you. I don't think it would be the same.