Saturday, December 27, 2008

My Christmas Present - Jamaica

Our trip to Jamaica was nothing short of amazing. About 4 years ago, we started the tradition of vacationing together in the Caribbean the week before Christmas as opposed to buying each other any gifts throughout the year.

So there is no big b-day, Christmas or any other gift trading for us. This is one of the best decisions we have ever made. I know many people like to shop for each other and many women like to receive jewelry and flowers, but I will take a week in paradise with my husband any day.

I read a lot of travel message boards and when it comes to being a traveler vs. a tourist there are definitely strong feelings against all-inclusive resorts. The complaints are you don’t truly experience the culture. I feel this way too, if this is the only type of trip you ever take.

I feel like we are a little different though. First, we are expats and experience immersion of another culture to a whole different level. Second, we do plenty of adventure travel when we go to Europe and seek out other off-the-beaten path places to visit.

Therefore, I don’t feel bad at all about visiting all-inclusives during our trips to the Caribbean. We use this specific vacation for complete relaxation and that is what we get. We lounge on the beach all day reading, float in the pool, watch sunsets, eat and drink when we want… It really is perfect.

We are Sandals Resorts fans and have yet to be disappointed after 6 visits. The service is friendly and the food is always great. It certainly is not all buffets which is the perception a lot of people have of all-inclusives.

This year we went back to a resort we first visited in 05 when it opened – Sandals Whitehouse. This place has the best of all worlds – large pools, long beach, secluded side of the island and lots of Jamaica-inspired cuisine.

When it comes to Jamaica, well, I just love that place! The mountains and the beaches are just so beautiful. A few years ago we did an excursion in the Blue Mountains where the best coffee in the world is made. It truly is the best for me. I love the authentic foods we’ve had there and enjoy trying to translate Patois.

I think this trip may have been our best yet. Things have been so…I’m not sure what the word is…unsettled, maybe. I think living abroad for a bit can do that to you, or at least it has done it to me. Despite the fact that we are in a foreign country together my husband’s commute and work schedule limits our time together. The trip was just what we needed.

Well, I guess I should stop talking and let the pictures speak for themselves a bit.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori--

I am so glad to hear from you!!! I am so glad you had such a wonderful vacation! and I have to say that I LOVE you and your husband's idea!! I think I will ask Sidnei if we can steal it! :) I want to simplify our lives of "stuff" (even though I truly LOVE jewelery) and be happy with eachother and not always try and "keep up"...anyway the resort looks gorgeous and I must say, I am jealous!! Whenever we can get Sidnei home, we are going away just him and I and I am so excited about that!!

Mamacita Chilena said...

Stunning! There's nothing wrong with a little all inclusiveness once in a while. :)

Bulga said...

I love you blog. I´m from Rio de Janeiro and living in Maringa since 1997.

Poofbegone said...

That is a great idea! I told my hubby about that and he said we should do it too. Although we don't buy each other all that much so I can't imagine it adding up to be enough to go on a Caribbean vacay.

I have mixed feelings about all-inclusives. I know how it is... I have not been to an all-inclusive but I know how great it is to stay at a beachside hotel, get waited on, relax, swim, and drink cocktails without worrying about anything else. However, I remember talking to a friend who went to Cuba and stayed at an all inclusive. She missed an opportunity to see the real Cuba and regretted it. I on the other hand went there as a backpacker and saw and experienced a whole lot more. So I guess I wouldn't mind going to an all-inclusive as long as I knew how it really was outside its walls. Then there is the fact that it contributes very little to the local economy when people only visit the big resorts and hotels. There is an interesting documentary about Jamaica called Life and Debt and it touches upon the resort tourism and economic problems there.
I am not trying to be a party pooper here. These are my personal thoughts. Believe me, I wish I was you! I definitely need a beachy vacation right now :)

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Stephanie - I know what you mean about focusing on less "stuff". I'm on the same quest myself. :)

Kyle - I have to say I feel the same way. My travel personality is incredibly diverse. :)

Bulga - Thanks! It's great to hear from more people in Maringa!

kumichan - Thanks so much for sharing that book. I will definitely look for it. We really enjoy Jamaica and I'd like to learn more.

I know what you mean regarding mixed feelings. For me, it really depends on the resort. I've heard some not-so-great things regarding the mega resorts like RIU and their environmental impact.

I've only ever gotten positive feedback regarding Sandals. I can't say I know enough about its influences on the economy, but we try to learn a little more from staff each time we go. For example, this year when having dinner with one of the employees there she talked a bit about how they do their best to use local foods from local farms in the area.

As long as some effort is being made and the employees are treated well, I feel better about giving them my money. It is definitely something to investigate and learn more about before investing in this type of vacation though.

Emily said...

Looks gorgeous! I've never been to an all-inclusive either and don't particularly have plans to do so, but as far as the "cultural experience" goes, there are definitely times when all I'm looking for is a beach. Most of the time I do want to see some local culture, but I've been on a couple trips where what mattered to me was sunshine and relaxing, and those things could have been anywhere in the world as far as I was concerned!

I also love that you guys don't do big presents and instead do this trip. It's all about finding what's important to you and making it work. Glad you had such a good time!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Emily - This yearly trip is definitley all about doing nothing. :) I just spend so much time researching for our Europe trips and other travel - where to stay, what to eat, train tickets. I love it, but it wears you out. On this trip everythign is right there and we love chatting with the staff about Jamaica.