Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Not-So-Friendly Skies

Today I realized that my original plane ticket had me flying out of Brazil on this date and arriving in the US tomorrow. This thought evoked an overwhelming feeling of relief that I have that long trek behind me.

I'll never forget my last trip back to Brazil during the summer. It had been a pleasant process in the beginning, as pleasant as flying can be these days. I was quickly tossing my bag into the overhead bin and getting ready to grab my seat when I was bumped so hard from behind that it practically sent me flying into the row.

It was at this moment that I realized – oh yeah, I’m on a Brazilian flight now.

Yes, I think I’ve finally taken enough flights to make a few comments about the differences in domestic travel in the US versus Brazil.

Now, I’m not trying to paint a picture that Brazilians are rude travelers. I know it is cultural differences. However, for those of us from the outside traveling on domestic flights in Brazil, rude is exactly how it can seem. You know I try hard to be understanding, but once you get on that first Brazilian flight after the long haul from the US, there is only so much one can take.

First let’s start with the boarding process. The best skill I’ve learned is the art of pushing and shoving. If you don’t stand your ground you will get walked all over, literally. There is no line as you board the plane. It is simply a mass of people who eventually reach a bottle neck and are forced into a formation that puts one person behind another.

I am becoming guilty as anyone else when it comes to pushing my way to the front. I’ve found that it is a flying survival skill. You just have to become as they are to compete and get some overhead bin space before it is gone.

Hey, sometimes it is kind of fun. All that shoving and no need to apologize. It is little like being a rebellious little kid.

As I mentioned I typically try to chalk up the things that I perceive as rude to simply being cultural differences that I don’t understand. Not right or wrong, just different. However, there are two things that I have a hard time applying this practice of healthy perception to.

In the US when one boards a plane people are given enough time to throw their bags in the overhead bin and get into their seat before the next person proceeds on past themd own the row. Yes, if you take a long time getting situated, people are going to get irritated and maybe even rude. However, you are given a reasonable amount of time to get out of the way.

In Brazil, you are not afforded the luxury to put your luggage up. You are barely afforded the luxury to get in your seat before someone plows you down. This is what happened to me.

I consider myself to be a very conscientious traveler and a quick, efficient one, I might add. I had literally taken less than 5 seconds to throw my bag up when the passenger behind me knocked me out of the way as he or she blew past. Sorry, I couldn't identify the gender. It all went so quickly.

The second thing occurs upon landing. In Brazil, my fellow passengers have this way of not paying any attention to instructions. Seat belts come off as soon as the planes wheels touch the ground and people stand up immediately after that.

I do get a giggle when they try to do this on US bound flights. The Delta flight attendants can really lay into some passengers when they try to get away with this. Personally, I think they deserve it. There is no excuse not to follow the instructions when they are given in both English AND Portuguese. Rules are in place for a reason.

Thus begins the fight to get off the plane. Everyone stands to grab their luggage. Yes, this happens in the US, but it is usually the aisle seats and as people exit everyone files out of their row.

In Brazil, EVERYONE stands up. If their bag happens to be in an awkward place, say 3 rows behind, they will push through people, pull it down, usually landing on someone’s head and move back to their seat area.

If you are sitting on an aisle seat it is in your best interest to stand up with them. If not, you’ll end up with a heavy suitcase on your head or, as I did on my last flight, a girl with her butt in my face who was sitting on me as she waited in the aisle. I finally had to jab the book I had in her side to get her to turn around and look to see that she might be crushing someone.

See, I feel embarrassed and childish to even let you know I did that. But honestly, you are forced to resort to such extremes in Brazil travel situations.

I know, I know. You are saying – this is an exaggeration, there is no way it is like this. I tell you the truth, I do not lie.

Getting off a Brazilian flight is such a huge relief. I’m not even going to get into talking about the baggage claim.

So after venting my frustrations, let me end on a positive note. I will say that the flight attendants on Brazilian flights are much more pleasant than on the domestic flights in the US. Man, I’ve come into contact with some US attendants on commuter flights that really need to consider a career change. Some of them don’t crack a smile the entire flight.

In Brazil, they help you put your bags up and they are faster than lightening with the drink service. And let’s not forget those tasty toffee candies you get on TAM while you are waiting to depart. Customer service is high with airlines in Brazil. Then again, I guess it should be since we are paying almost double what we would pay to fly the same distance in the US.

I’ve learned to deal with the whole flight thing, but that doesn’t mean I enjoy it. I just try to stick my head in a book and not let the being knocked from side to side by other passengers get to me. It is over before you know it and I depart happy, but dreading the next time I have to do it again.

9 comments:

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

I recently read in a magazine that with Brazil's sudden economic boom, many people that usually took buses around the country are now sharing space in planes with us, so you might have a whole new group of people not used to planes sharing those flights with you.
However I don't think that is an excuse for the rude behavior. I don't think that is cultural and much less a Brazilian thing at all, it is probably just bad luck or a characteristic of the regional flights you had to take to get to Maringa.
The reason I say this is because I have traveled extensively between Sao Paulo and Rio and Sao Paulo and Brazilian on business and the passengers were very well behaved, mostly business executives going to either cities usually on short trips with almost no luggage at all, mostly laptops and briefcases.
But I totally hate their habit of NOT organizing the boarding, that causes that very situation you described, if they followed common sense and boarded the back of the plane first, you wouldn't have desperate people pushing you out of the way.
Maybe our take from this story is that our rude flight attendants keep everyone in line, to be honest with you, I fear them and want absolutely no contact or the least possible interaction with flight attendants period.
On the other hand, the "friendly" Brazilian flight attendants don't inspire rude people to respect them and behave.
I hate flying nowadays, no matter where I am going, it seems to be the same torture...

Ray Adkins said...

Oops,

I meant I traveled between Sao Paulo and Brasilia, not Brazilian.

Dora Dolabela said...

Hi Lori, I am Brazilian I feel so sorry you have been having so unpleasant experiences in your flights. I absolutely agree with Ray Adkins, what you have experienced it's not the completely true all over the country. I much guess is a region problem.
The last 4 years I have been living abroad (US) and now in China. While I was reading your thoughts about Brazil, I thought myself, she should come to China to see what happens here!
I also have a blog about my life in China, but it's in Portuguese. If you wanna have a look on it, http://sobotetodeshanghai.blog.terra.com.br/
Greetings! Dora

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Ray - Ha, ha! I know what you mean about US flight attendants. I've come across some that I don't want to make eye contact with. It always seems to be the ones on the smaller commuter flights for me. The international flights are usually better.

Dora - Thanks so much for your comment. I will check out your blog. I read better than I can speak in the language. I'm sure China is a bit of madness too. My husband has traveled there, but I have not...yet. We've actually had similar experiences in Europe. I was just comparing my Brazil experience with mine in the US. Glad to know it may be different in other parts.

Emily said...

I had to laugh reading this, but you didn't comment on my favorite part of flying with Latin Americans: the fact that they clap when the plane lands! I've been on several flights where many people have clapped upon landing, and it just makes me think really, we are clapping because the pilot did his or her job? I mean, granted it's a very important part of the job, but I sort of expect to land safely every time I fly, I don't think it's some bonus that deserves applause! And YES to the fact that they're out of their seats as soon as they're done with the clapping. I think Ray's probably right that the increase in people who're traveling has a lot to do with it.

On a related note, I find it funny how here in Chile - and I'd imagine in much of LatAm - the whole family goes to drop someone off at the airport and hangs around having a coffee until just before you really have to go through security, even for what I would consider a short trip of a few weeks to a month. Flying is still a bigger deal here than in the US. I prefer to check in and go straight through, so that I can switch my brain into travel mode and not be worried that something's going to come up at the last minute, rather than sit around dragging out a (temporary!) goodbye.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Ha, ha! I totally forgot about the clapping. I've been on flights where they've done that too. It's kind of like someone applauding me when I finish and article. Just doin' my job!

Oh, the airports are packed where we've been in Brazil too. You think they are all going and then one out of 15 people ends up getting on the plane.

globalgal said...

I'm another expat in China (thanks for stopping by my blog! http://global-gal.com) and this is how it is here, too, on MANY flights. Trains and buses are much worse. It is actually quite hilarious if you are seated in a window seat and you just watch all the mayhem. An aisle seat means baggage will be dropped on you and the passengers in the window seats will crawl over you.

One time the airplane, while taxiing into the parking bay, made an unexpectedly strong brake and a whole group of people in the aisle went flying forward. Hehehe. I've been waiting years to see that!

I have noticed as people fly more and fly internationally that they are better behaved, but since so many are taking their first flights, I have a feeling the mayhem will continue.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Global Gal - Thanks so much for stopping by with your comment. I am enjoying your blog and so sorry to hear about all your visa trouble.

Ha, ha! Your comment was too funny! I'm always secretly thinking - you all are going to get it one day for standing up early. Ha! I always try to choose a window and enjoy sitting back and witnessing it all as well. :)

Zandria said...

I have to say, that doesn't sound like a fun experience at all! :(

http://zandria.us