Sunday, April 19, 2009

Candy Americana

My husband was stuck in the Londrina airport on Friday night from about 7:00 pm until 1:00 am due to an unexplained flight delay. That put a damper on the start to the weekend, but he found a great deal in the snack shop.





The “Goma Americana” were on sale for a mere R$9.80. Quite a deal considering they were down from R$14.10.

Looks like Dots aren’t so popular around the area. I can’t help but wonder how long those things have been sitting in there.

8 comments:

Elaine Bittencourt said...

I love that stuff!

but you know what I'd buy the first opportunity I had, if I were going to Brazil? Pipoca! Not the one that we eat here, but those that come in a plastic bag, you know, they are from a different kind of corn. I love that stuff! my mom used to send it to me once in a while. When I went to Brazil in 2006, once I got to my final destination and went outside the airport, I saw this "banquinha" on the sidewalk selling that stuff, guess how much I bought?

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

I do love the pipoca, but i'm not sure I've had the kind you are speaking of. Hmmm...we love the pipoca doce at the movies. It is so different than our caramel corn in the US.

Elaine Bittencourt said...

Found it, take a look:

http://www.inteligentesite.com.br/modelos/modelo57/default.asp?ID=548

Rogério Penna said...

You know Elaine, sometimes I wonder if that industrial popcorn we have here in Brazil is even made of organic ingredients hehe.

To me at least, it seems so artificial... like some plastic foam. Well, not very different from Cheetos (also made from corn if I am not mistaken) in its artificial looks.


as for these specific candies of the post, is Goma Americana much different from the usual BALA DE GOMA we find in Brazil?

globalgal said...

Just wondering if candy is very popular in Brazil among adults? When I was living in Spain I was surprised to find that kids and adults alike flocked to candy stores (which seemed to be everywhere) to stock up on gummies, candies and nuts for snacking.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Elaine - I'm not sure if I have that or not. Maybe something similar, but not that brand for sure.

Aces - Not sure. Do you know if bala de goma are like gum drops? If yes, then no, dots are different. They are more chewy and gummy.

global gal - Good question. I can't say I've noticed any trends for sure, but the Brazilians I know do love their sweets. And by sweet, I mean, hurt your teeth. Sweetened condensed milk and all you can make with it.

Also, I guess b/c I worked in nutrition in the US I always feel that there is a sense of shame or "being bad" when we enjoy sweets. I don't get that vibe around here. People eat their sweet pastries and walk down the street eating an ice cream bar. It's not a big deal and that is kind of refreshing.

Unknown said...

Lori, don't ever try that kind of popcorn Elaine mentioned. Trust me. Have you ever eaten "Isopor"? Tastes the same.

And about the bala the goma, it looks exactly like the goma americana. Don't know if tastes the same. After I found out the corn in the US is sweet, everything is possible...

Here's how they look, with a recipe.

http://tvtem.globo.com/culinaria/receita.asp?EditoriaID=6&codigo=3809

Did you know that bala de goma is considered sweet for old people? You don't need teeth to it it, haha!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Marcos - Ha, ha! Thanks for the warning. They don't look like my thing so I wasn't really planning to try them. I haven't been a big of fan of puffed corn kind of stuff we've had here.

Yeah, I was thinking right the "gomas" are like "gum drops" in the US. Dots are similar, but are not covered in sugar and bit chewier/gummier.